Johnson 70 dies under load

bassfisher1

Recruit
I have a 1988 Johnson 70. I just had the lower unit repaired, seal bearings, etc. It ran before I took it to the mechanic, now, it starts and idles fine, but dies as soon as shifted into gear, just like you shut off the spark. I have a feeling it is the ignition advance is out of adjustment. It is getting fuel just fine, I removed the fuel line from the carb, and it is pumping fuel very good. Is the rubber stopper adjustable? I don't want to advance my ignition too much and burn a hole in my pistons. I thik it is electrical, but am not sure what all the mechanic disconnected while working my lower unit. The boat ran fine prior to taking to mechanic, that is why I think the stopper was moved and not replaced in its original place, bit I am no mechanic...Your help is appreciated, tight lines...

MadeCoolCom

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Johnson 70 dies under load

It starts but no power. Could be something with the Sparks I would not adjust the timing without using a timing light to check it first. would leave it alone and check with a timing light and then adjust it if it needs it . Check to see if your all sparkplugs have sparks going to them take out the plug and ground it to the engine block and check for spark to all your cylinders I don't know how many you have. I would check with the mechanic to see what he has to say.

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

bassfisher1 Welcome to the 70 hp no power club. And ya it happened over night but ran fine the day before! Do a search on loss power, or 70 hp.<br />Mine comes and goes now, so I think its a synk problem. If I dump the throttles its fine, its the easy advance that it bogs on.<br />steve

bassfisher1

Recruit

Thanks Steve, seems to be a lot of folks in this club! I ordered a carb kit, will install that this evening on al 3 crbs, mechanic looked at it and said I only have 1 carb that is fully working. Bought some new plugs too, although the old ones weren't too bad looking. I have spark on all cylinders and compression test was good. We'll see what happens.

The Marine Doctor

Commander

Easiest way to cure the problem with the 70's is to revert back to the old carbs. Get rid of the ones with the mid range air jet. They cause nothing but problems.<br /><br />Symptom...remove the airbox...look for fuel spitting out.<br /><br />TMD

Steve135

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Marine Doctor Describe spitting out! Out of where?<br />stinky