1963 Johnson 40 HP

RSteller

Cadet
I have purchased a used '63 40 HP Johnson.<br />Problem is it will not pump water. I have replaced all seals in lower end and put a new impeller in it. The motor had been taken apart by the previous owner and sold as a "Running" motor. However when I got home with it I realized that the lower end had only 2 of the 7 bolts holding it to the top end. The Model Number is RDSL 25D The serial number is 2382455.<br /><br />If anyone has a Drawing that they could send me to see if anything is missing in the lower end, (Water Pump) I would appreciate it.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: 1963 Johnson 40 HP

On the left bottom end there is a button that says manuals.They will gladly send it.<br />These are the people who make this board possible,most people here feel quite obliged to them...

RSteller

Cadet

Thanks Rolmops,<br /><br />I already have the Clymer Outboard Shop manual for this motor and year but it does not show this type of pump in it.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Here's a link that might get ya the OEM manual.<br /><br /> Shop Manual <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

RSteller

Cadet

Thanks Hooty,<br /><br />Was hoping that someone would be able to help me other than buying another manual, However I guess I will have to get the info locally

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How do you know it doesn't pump water? Do you have the lower unit submerged, or, are you trying to use muffs on it. Muffs don't work with this type of engine.

RSteller

Cadet

Lark40,<br /><br />I have the lower unit submerged up to the cavitation plate. The Water inlet on this motor is in the exhaust area in front of the prop. I am not getting any water out of the exhaust that is half way down the motor and I took the water hose off the side that goes to the hot water choke and there is no water there. Today I put a Completely new water pump and impeller in it and still not showing any water spary from the exhaust. It is smoking quite a bit and there is a lot of black comimng up in the water in the tank. :confused:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Try and submerge it at the water pump level.<br />Did you turn the drive shaft clock wise while you tightened the screws on the water pump?<br />Did you make sure the key that holds the impeller is on the drive shaft?<br />Did you check with a hose if there is a blockage in any of the pipes? <br />Your engine does have a thermostat,maybe the problem is there.<br />Make sure it opens.<br />good luck.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I think that on your engine it would be on the side of the cylinder head.It looks like a long pipe and the thermostat parts are inside that pipe.

RSteller

Cadet

Found the thermostat. Took it out and turned engine over witout the plugs in, While watching the thermostat housing, there is still no water coming up. As I put the impeller into the pump I truned the Drive shaft clockwise, As I tightened the Pump Housing I turned the crankshaft clockwise, I have the motor mounted on the boat and will try to get t taller tank and see if I can get the whole pump submerged.<br />I ran water down both of the holes in the thermostat housing in the smaller hole water flowed from the exhaust pipe, running water down the thermostat housing hole water came out the small hole on the side of the engine above the cav plate and the pick-up screen.<br />Put the thermostat back in and started motor no water flow, opened theremostat housing , thermostat was open. :confused:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

In order to effectively pump water the engine has to run.

RSteller

Cadet

Found out through a local mechanic that this pump has to be 6 to 8 inches under water. Have to launch the boat to do that. Don't really want to remove it from the boat. Thanks everyone for your help.