Propeller Shaft Removal

Skyhigh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All<br /><br /> I am having a problem getting the Propeller Shaft out of the lower unit.<br /><br />I have an 86 Johnson 60 HP VRO on my 88-bumble bee v154 bass boat that I paid $ 650.00 for.<br />The model # is J60TLCD<br /><br /> I did an over haul on the power head with no problem. Changed carb gaskets float, new holes, cleaned fuel tank, etc. It starts and runs great, but I see that the propeller shaft is bent so I am trying to removal it to get repaired. There was no water in the lower unit, which is a plus.<br /><br />1) Do I have to remove the lower unit to get the shaft out?<br />2) I have removed the shaft housing and the snap rings and the washer.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Propeller Shaft Removal

Skyhigh, not to be rude, BUT you need a service manual!!!!

The Marine Doctor

Commander

You must remove the gearcase from the leg.<br /><br />Disconnect the shifter under the carbs.<br /><br />Once you have it removed...<br /><br />Remove the W/P<br /><br />Remove the D/S Brg carrier<br /><br />Remove the D/S Nut on the bottom.<br /><br />Pull out the D/S<br /><br />Push down on the shift shaft...then unscrew and remove it.<br /><br />Pull out the P/S<br /><br />TMD

Skyhigh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply all.<br />I am going to order the service manual.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Skyhigh - That is the smartest post I have seen this week.

Skyhigh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Solittle,<br /><br />That’s the best complement I have had in years. :)