OMC Evinrude Spark Advance Retainer and Linkage

zspinner

Recruit
:confused: I finished completly replacing all the UFI components on my Envirude today, they were destroyed when a couple of the armature plate retainer bolts let go and go mixed up with the "stuff" under the flywheel (UFI). Motor would not start when I tried today, I wasn't really expecting it to but I thought I would try.<br /><br />My questions is, when I replaced the UFI components I was able to save the retainer plate, I think? It was a little bent, but I straightened it, however it was out of round, and fit tightly on the pilot ring. How easily or not so easily should the spark advance retainer plate and linkage spin under the flywheel? Before installing the flywheel I was able to rotate the armature plate with the coil components, it was fairly "tight" though. Should the retainer plate rotate around the ignition plate support ring or should the support plate rotate in the pilot ring (these are the part names used for these components in my parts manual). When should the armature plate rotate for spark advance during ignition? When I did try to start this today the advance did not move, this is why I am questioning whether the armature retainer plate is binding up, and not allowing the advance to do it's thing.<br /><br />I plan on checking the timing against TDC for each cylinder tomorrow, but I wanted to rule out the issue with the advance linkage. Any help would be great.<br /><br />Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: OMC Evinrude Spark Advance Retainer and Linkage

What year and hp engine are you working on?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

zspinner

Recruit
Re: OMC Evinrude Spark Advance Retainer and Linkage

Sorry with all my rambling I forgot to mention the motor info. 1993 30 Hp.