Small Boston Whaler decision

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If this question has been asked before, I apologise - but I can find no thread that directly relates.<br /><br />We are replacing a small workboat with one of two (used) Boston Whaler models, and they are as rare as hens teeth here in the Med, so we have had no hands-on experience. We know their reputation, of course. The choice is strictly between the two, and either would fulfil our needs (inshore pottering, ship-to-shore ferrying, a bit of mildly dirty weather sometimes, maximum 3 up). The one is a 13foot Sport, and the other is the 15foot Sport. Both are recent models, in similar condition, with 50hp motors.<br /><br />Having read conflicting reports on comparative hull performance in the water under varying conditions, I don’t know what to believe. Does any one of you good guys with Whaler experience have any preference?

Re: Small Boston Whaler decision

Im not familur with the sport whaler but i own a 1984, 17 ft whaler (montauk) with a 90 hp. Im very happy with mine, the design can take the pounding if incountered, but being a sturdy boat, it will pound the occupants. The Montauk is a modified tri hull, which can take rough water but you have to slow down. Again, i know mine isnt the sport, but i hope my input helped

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could always post your question in the Classical Whaler site at: http://continuouswave.com <br /><br />The participants are Boston Whaler enthusiasts and they will answer any question about classical Whalers.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have had a fleet of Whalers, SF.<br /><br />I agree with the recommendation to check out the Whaler Forum.<br /><br />My choice would be the 15, which is (was) the best of the Dougherty designed hulls. The 13 is very overpowered with a 50hp, believe me (it is rated for 40hp max), but on a 15 it is just about perfect.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thank you all very much for pointing me in the right direction.<br /><br />Because there are no Whaler dealers here, and onlty one Whaler that I know of on the islands (a beautiful Dauntless 17 Dual console that rides like a dream with 115 Ocean Runner), we have no eyewitness experience. Trawling the Continuous Wave site has given me a concentrated lesson on the smaller Whalers.<br /><br />Now to choose.<br /><br />Ciao

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bigger IS better..... :D <br /><br />One vote for the 15.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Though it is only 2 feet ,the 15 is a much better boat.The 13 is a small boat.Charlie

Rideout

Cadet

Having both at BW 15 and a 13. The 15 is the clear choice

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rideout,<br /><br />If you've had both, why do you reckon the 15 is better?<br /><br />Agreed it's got more space, but I'm not so interested in the extra space as in the seakeeping and riding abilities. It will also be trailered from slip to slip regularly (often the quickest way of deploying here) and slipped and retrieved by one man.

BillP

Captain

13' Whaler...can you say WET RIDE?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You were born wet, BillP. You have been wet thousands of times since then (we hope :D ).<br /><br />If you get wet depends on the boat's operator.

Rideout

Cadet

As far as seakeeping, the 15 Whaler (classic) is somewhat of a unique hull. It tends to ride over waves on the bow and catch them more to the stern rather than pound through them. Granted it is still a 15 foot boat with low freeboard, but it is very responsive and will fly. I think a 60-70 hp is the best powerplant for overall usage.

11 footer

Lieutenant

The 15 wins hands down over the 13.<br /><br />Bigger, better ride and much higher resale.<br /><br />The 15' is ratted for a max. of 70hp, but its really a rocket with 70, many people are more then happy with 50's on there 15's. You'll love it.<br /><br />Check out the reference section on continuouswave to see what model you have.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well ... we're going for the 13. Condition, and more bells made the difference. It was a marginal decision. If it doesn't suit, we'll sell it on. Hopefully, it'll stay afloat forever.<br /><br />I browsed the Continuous Wave site and learned a lot. thanks everyone for the input.<br /><br />My official advisor has said that if it's as good as I've sold her, she'll persuade me to import a Whaler bowrider for personal use as long as I keep the fish out of it. She doesn't drive a car, but she scares the ***** out of everyone in a boat. This one won't have a mirror! (What are you - a man or a mouse? I'm a man - my wife's afraid of mice!)<br /><br />Air temp here now is 22c. Sea temp is the same. Lampuki season has finished.<br /><br />Ciao