Comparison of Two Boats - Help Needed Please

newboatbuy

Recruit
Re: Comparison of Two Boats - Help Needed Please

Waterone1 - yes it is a single engine with duoprops. <br /><br />Thanks for the advice.<br />Frank

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Frank,<br /><br />Your reasoning is sound. You will find quickly that much more than four or five max will get real tight real fast. If you do any cruising the generator will be a real asset. Radar should be a nice bonus as well.<br /><br />Waterzone makes a good case for two engines. I agree completely. If you are doing river runs and dockside cocktails then the single should be fine. About a week after you sign the papers on the new boat you will be at the level of the one year old. FYI boat warranties are notoriously weak. The dealer makes all the difference. Brunswick (the parent co. of bayliner) is a solid player and should do right by you if anything goes wrong. The warranty would be a 5% factor for me as you still have 1 year on the other. <br /><br />Sea Trial Sea Trial Sea trial. Find a good mechanic and buy him something nice for christmas, this guy can make or break your boating experience. Referals are usually the best way to find a good one.

mattttt25

Commander

great research. you've done your homework, much more than most do. based on your numbers, i would go with the 2004 every time, for the reasons others have pointed out. getting the genset, ac, heat, bow thruster- these are all things that will make your boating more enjoyable and extremely difficult to add later on. plus you weather some depreciation and spend less.<br /><br />my only advice is that you hire your own surveyor. don't use one that is recommended by the dealer. be present for the survey and ensure he speaks up on everything he finds. take this info, no matter how small it is, and use it when negotiating the final price.<br /><br />good luck and enjoy the new boat!

18rabbit

Captain

“If single-screw boats didn’t work, a majority of the world’s commercial fishing fleets would never leave port.” – Bob Armstrong, on the question of ‘Single or Twins?’ in his book “Getting Started In Powerboating”.<br /><br />NBG – see page 52 in the book (I think you said you had it).

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Commercial boats usually have diesel engines and large barn door rudders. Big difference.<br /><br />28' boat to dock on one screw's not gonna be a picnic. Especially for a new boat owner.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Personally I would never buy another new boat unless it was from a custom builder ($$$). There are two few controls over the manufacturers of production boats (like lemon laws with cars, for example). It is not unusual for even a fairly high end new boat to return to the dealer for warranty work - that usally means a big time hit to those of us with short boating seasons. As long as you do your homework and have it checked out, boats depreciate so fast that a used boat that has has all its problems taken care of, is a better deal. IMHO of course.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just for the record, to back up an earlier statement, I happened to pick uo the July 2004 issue of "Offshore" magazine last night (Northeast edition). There's 2 28 foot Bayliners listed, a 1998 for $49,500 and a 1999 for $37,995.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In my many years of boating there are a few things I have learned :1) Even with the best maintenence, boat engines and drives break. 2)Most of the time when engines or drives "act up" it's when you have tons of people onboard making access to the engine compartment impossible. 3) When you decide to take a multi-day river or coastal trip the engines run fine going out......they always seam to act up when you are trying to get home.<br />Comming home on one engine "blows" but you get there alot safer and cheaper than waiting for someone to tow you.