Evinrude 40 VRO?

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class
The pontoon boat I recenly purchased has a 1986, (I think) 40 hp VRO Evinrude that had the VRO inoperative at the time of purchase. The previous owner ran a 50:1 gas/oil mix. The alarm horn was disconnected. On the advice of a friend, I removed the oil line from the motor and pumped the oil line bulb until oil came out. Oil was not coming out when I started. I reconnected the alarm horn and ran the boat on the gas/oil mix for three 6 gal tanks of mix. The alarm horn did sound twice during that time. Both times, even though I was not concerned about the engine, since I had 50:1 mix in addition to the VRO, I did shut the engine down, pumped the oil bulb a few times, started the engine and the alarm did not sound again. This was on the first 6 gallon of mix. After the third 6 gal. tank, I switched to a 100:1 mix and ran 12 more gallon through. The oil level in the oil tank went down and I am now using straight gas and letting the VRO do its thing. All seems to be going good. <br />So, what I'm curious about:<br />(1.) Did I just not have all the air bled from the oil line to start with?<br />(2.) Is there any reason to run any oil in the fuel rather than trust the VRO?<br />There have been so many posts about VRO problems, it has made me a little nervous. <br />A marine mechanic I know that prefers Mercury motors said he felt the VRO got a lot of bad raps because people didn't take care of keeping the pickup clean and letting air get into the oil lines. He thinks I have nothing to be concerned about. <br />Is the VRO bad news? Am I just waiting for my problem to occur, or am I just letting all the negative posts get to me. I personally think it is the latter, but I would appreciate any input.<br /><br />Charles

Mod2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Evinrude 40 VRO?

Charles...I'm moving your post to Johnson/Evinrude forum. Our experts there can help you out with your VRO.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mod2: When I posted this, I wondered about where it should go. I finally decided that since it wasn't really repair/maintenance, I would try the general area. Wrong again. Excuse the inconvenience.<br /><br />Specks n Reds: Thanks for the information. Just what I really wanted to hear. ;) Did you replace yours because of a problem or to avoid a future problem? If OMC was recommending the VRO removal, they probably had reasons. Sounds like I better see what is involved in making the changeover in the not too distant future. As I said, some 24 gallons have been used with no problems yet, so I'm not quite to the panic stage. If I hadn't read so many posts about it, I wouldn't even have known I had a problem. :D <br /><br />Charles

D

DJ

Charles,<br /><br />VRO wasn't available until the eighties. At first it was VRO (variable ratio oiling) it later became straight oil injection at 50:1.<br /><br />If you are using oil, you have no worries. Let it go.

Specks n Reds

Chief Petty Officer

I condider mine as a preventive maintance issue.<br />Since I use portable tanks rather than an installed.<br />Dumping oil in at fill up is not a big probelm.<br /><br />Now the VRO is meant to be variable enriching/leaning the amount of oil/gas with engine speed.<br />That don't always happen do to clogged or pinched oil lines.<br /><br />I think the new ones are much more dependable but the early ones needed a bit more R&D<br /><br />djohns19 <br /><br />Goverment Contract 85's had them as early as '78

Bill Stock

Cadet

Am in the process now of change over on 1990 40hp, as had gasket leaks on vro and would lose prime at full throttle, My marine dealer reccomended instead of rebuild or cost of new VRO.

Mark R Groves

Seaman Apprentice

Charles,<br /><br />The word on the street is... the early OMC VRO system was problematic. 1986 was one of the earlier years for this system. You may want do a search on this topic on this board and you will hear all the various opinions. However, based on what I've gathered I'd probably lean in the direction of pre-mix. I have an '88 40hp VRO. A couple of years ago after hearing all the horror stories I decided to run pre-mix. I even replaced the VRO pump with a standard fuel pump. I now run pre-mix and haven't looked back. When you consider all the bad-rap this system has had... where there is smoke there's probably fire. One the other hand pre-mix is fairly idiot proof... unless the idiot forgets to mix oil in his gas.

ramduster

Recruit

I just had my 40hp vro changed over to a standard fuel pump. here is the omc part number 438557. I hope to get it out on the lake this weekend and will let you know how it goes.

Bill Stock

Cadet

From vro to standard fuel pump,easy swap. Motor is pre tapped for mounting ,just had to remove elec. starter to get at hose barb to remove and plug psi line that went to vro. Couple hours and runs fine, just need to remind wife and son to premix oil any questions just ask. Bill