evinrude idling problems

TRANQUILLO

Recruit
posted July 07, 2003 07:09 PM <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />hi there...being new boat owner, i have already beagn to experience the trials and tribulations of owning a boat. in particular, i have v-6 200hp evinrude, carbeurated. it runs great above 1100 rpm's but at tends to stall a lot when at idle. also, if im driving, and bring it down back to idle, some times it stalls there as well. i belive its a 1997. thx, steve

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: evinrude idling problems

Does the eng. go into gear from idle ok???, and does it take the throttle when you drop the hammer????

mav1973

Seaman Apprentice

i have the same problem it shifts fine if it doesnt stall just got it back from the shop for tune up please help us mine is a evin 9.9 (74) i should just take it back to shop still under waranty

walleyehed

Admiral

sounds like throttle plates are still very slightly open when the timing retards fully. The plates MUST close fully, and the timing has to advance ever-so-slightly before the throttle moves, or it will be restart city, all day long.

TRANQUILLO

Recruit

thx for responding...it takes the throttle ok right up to speed. it holds rpm fine over say 1100. but below that, sometimes it slows down almost like its starving for gas or somethng. i have checked the bulb when it does this, and it seems a little soft. a friend of mine has a 2000 johnson, and his does the same thing. he replced the tank, fuel/water sperator, fuel lines, pump etc. and still the same problem.

tntwalker

Seaman Apprentice

I'm surprised the OMC experts haven't chimed in on this yet. Seems like the primary response to this type of problem is to rebuild the carbs. You should probably wait until one of the board experts gives you particulars on your motor. I have a 1989 Evinrude 150 with the exact same problem. I have just ordered 3 carb kits online to rebuild all of them. (Should be fun!)<br /><br />The fact that it runs well at higher rpms SHOULD rule out most of the ignition system.<br /><br />Keep us all updated!!

boating brad

Petty Officer 1st Class

walleyehed is right, and the bulb after running will soften some thats normal.

TRANQUILLO

Recruit

the motor only has 120 hours on it...its very clean...i cant imagine it needing a rebuyild, but maybe your right. i kind of have the feeling that the mixture is too rich. its oil injected. is there any way to adjust that? it seems to smoke a little too much. i feel like its too rich

tntwalker

Seaman Apprentice

Did the boat/motor sit unused for a while? Has it always had these symptoms since you've owned it?<br /><br />From what I've read, it doesn't matter if a motor has 30 hours on it, if it sits for a few months, there is a good chance the carbs will gum up... thus requiring a good cleaning (rebuilding)...

AFishin69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree, if the engine has sat for awhile, that gas will gum those carbs right up.. now matter how new the engine.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Do yourself a big favor and do not go fiddlin with adjustments without the shop manual. It will most likely get worse if you do. From your description you might check sync & link of the carbs & possibly a rebuild of the carbs. See:<br /><br /> http://www.outboardrepairs.com/carburetors/

wikelam

Chief Petty Officer

check ebay or else where for a manual before tearing into the carbs if carbs are problem

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

TRANQUILLO.... Regardless of what the problem might be, always check the compression, should be approx 100 psi and even on all cylinders. THen, with the s/plugs out, check the spark which should jump a 7/16" gap on all cylinders.<br /><br />If the above checks out okay, check the timer base under the flywheel. It should make a smooth transistion through its range up to the rubber bumper on the spark advance stop screw. Check it with the engine NOT RUNNING and in forward gear.<br /><br />If the timer base checks out okay along with the compression and spark, in all probability, the carburetors are fouled. If so, they will require removing, cleaning, and rebuilding.

TRANQUILLO

Recruit

GREAT ADVICE!...I WILL CHECK OUT THE TIMING AND PLUGS, AND IF THAT IS NOT IT, ILL CHECK OUT THE CARBS...THX AGAIN, ILL LET YOU ALL KNOW

93bronco

Ensign

dont forget about the recirculation fittings and vavles.<br />this is from the manual- 90degree LV <120 to 300><br />a disfunctional recirculation system will cause one or more of the following:<br />-erratic or poor idle<br />-fouled plugs in lower cylinders<br />-excessive smoke after extended idle when accelerating<br />-idle sensitive to trim angle<br />-<br />you would not believe how bad mine was on the 120/140 i tore down.<br />just a thought.

Bco128

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have one more possibility which hasent been covered yet although everything i hae read is good advice.I wish to add. grab a torque wrench.I have had a similar problem.ran fine above 1/2 throttle or so.refused to idle.turned out that a crank case bolt had worked loose alowing it to suck air at a critical moment at lower RPM.noticed this by a fuel leak at the bolt head.never know but worth looking into.be sure you have your manuel for the torque specs.