what is this the year and horsepower of this evinrude

jerryjlrcpo

Cadet
I have been told it is a 1947 5.4 hp. I have it running but cant find a manual on this motor. I cant get the high speed adjustment and it seems to be loosing prime. While it is running it acts like it wonts to die and then if you hit the primer button on top left of casb it seems to pick up and the acts like it is flooding out. It starts on second pull but cant get the adjustments. What should the adjustments be on the carb on the needle valves. Anyting would be appriciated. The model number is 4404-40031<br /> thanks jerry

alcan

Commander
Re: what is this the year and horsepower of this evinrude

Hi Jerry<br />Ser# 4001-up is a 1948 model. You have the <br />4 cylender Evinrude Zepher. I have had a few of these over the years and never realy could get one to run right. Not saying that it can't be done. Just didn't top my list. You may find more expirenced help at the antique outboard motor club site. They have more people into those motors there. Sorry I don't mean to sound like I tring to get rid of you. I would like to hear how you make out.

jerryjlrcpo

Cadet

thanks alot but i am starting to feel the same way you are saying i have been workin on this for a couple of weeks now with no change but thanks yes it is a zephr

alcan

Commander

Sorry again,I didn't mean to discourage you. If you keep after it I am sure you will sucede in your quest.

alcan

Commander

Hi Jerry<br />I think most of the problem I had is, I don't have and never have had a manual or any really good info on this model.

jerryjlrcpo

Cadet

thanks alcon and the others that answered my question i have finally got it running it just dont operate like new motors but i have it running pretty good. just had to play with the adjustments on carb