Carb. or tank problem.

engineer

Recruit
I have a "57" Evinrude 18HP That was running great. Now when i start it up, it only runs until the fuel i primed into it burns then it dies everytime. I have cleaned the carb. and replaced the lines. How can you telll if it is the fuel pump, or is it something else. I need to be out fishing by Saturday. :(

Joe Fisherman

Seaman
Re: Carb. or tank problem.

Are you sure You dont have a small amout of water in your gas tank? How do your plugs look are they wet??

engineer

Recruit

I have been playing mechanic again and figured out there is no pressure building up in the gas tank. Before when i opened the gas cap it would have alot of pressure, now there is non. Any suggestions. I have put in new fuel/mix, and plugs are dry and clean.

D

DJ

engineer,<br /><br />I asume this is a pressure system-two hose? If so:<br /><br />Closely inspect the fuel line. Look for cracks, etc.<br /><br />If not, you may need to rebuild the pressure pump in the tank. Not a bad, or complicated, job.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey engineer....<br /><br />On a two hose system, you do need pressure in the tank. Chances are that the diaphram under the tank handle cover has ruptured. These are still available at Johnny/Rude dealers. Before you go tearing into it like I know engineers like to do, Take some soap solution and prime the engine to make it run. With the engine running, paint on the soap on the tank cover and watch for bubbles. This will tell ya where the pressure is going. If it's coming from around the primer button, then the diaphram is shot. Good Luck.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I would suspect the fuel pump, when you prime it with the ball you are acting as the fuel pump. The pressure you are talking about is positive pressure from the fuel being pumped out, if you have no pos. pressure it is because no fuel is being sucked out. If you want you can try priming, then start it and keep priming it as it is running and see if it keeps running. If you do have excessive pressure when you take the fuel cap off you may want to check for a clogged vent.

SCO

Lieutenant

Yes, there is no proper fuel pump. The tank is the pump. New double line is availabe fom an OMC counter if that turns out to be the leak.