55 hp johnson

mufdyvr002

Cadet
i have a 55 hp johnson with the hydro-electric shift. i do not have any idea what year it might be. is there any way to find out through the model number and serial number? it has been sitting for a long time in a warehouse. it looks pretty clean but i cant turn the flywheel with my hands. what should i look for with these conditions. thanks a bunch.

D

DJ

Re: 55 hp johnson

fefu,<br /><br />Unless you are REALLY mechanically inclined-keep looking.<br /><br />The Electric shift models could be troublesome.<br /><br />Seeing that you can't turn it over by hand, that's not a good sign. <br /><br />On the other hand, if you can get it for free, you can probably sell the lower unit on e-bay for a hundred bucks or so.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

i i'm scared. i'm an auto tech so any work on this motor sould not be a problem.what i need to know is how to read the serial number. this way i can get the right manual. thanks again.

D

DJ

fefu,<br /><br />Look on the clamp bracket. There should be a metal tag with the serial and model numbers.<br /><br />If not, remove the cowl (hood) and look at the engine for a core (freeze) plug. Sometimes the numbers are stamped on one of them.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

the model number is 55esl69a. and the serial number is j3011997. thanks again.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

is that good and where can i get a repair manual and parts book for it. thanks again for all the help.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

i guess this means that there is no way for me to get any manuals for this motor. by the way, how did you come up with a 1969? thanks.

ledgefinder

Ensign

The model number means 55hp, electric start long, 1969. Factory manuals are the best, but the Cole (Seloc) manual for 1958-72 50-125hp is a pretty good alternative. <br /><br />Those motors are pretty good. The lower unit is hydro-electric, which is different and in my opinion much less troublesome than the earlier magnetic clutch ones. For one thing if it breaks, it stays in forward so you can get back to the dock - the earlier ones stuck in neutral. <br /><br />You can try spraying wD40 in the spark plug holes, and turning (not too hard) the flywheel with a socket. Turn the flywheel clockwise (looking down from the top) so you don't mess up your water pump impeller. For legal reasons, I need to WARN you that the motor may start at this point, causing you serious injury or death.<br /><br />Be aware that the hydroelectric lower units may 'fake' a lock up. I've had this happen twice, when turning the flywheel or prop with no 12V to the motor. Not sure exactly what happens or even how to make it happen, but always clears when you apply voltage to the lower unit control wires.

ledgefinder

Ensign

By "fake a lockup", I mean lockup and not turn, thus keeping the powerhead from turning.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

wow, thanks. now you gave me some info i can use. i'll be looking out for the factory manual and i will try your sugestion today. thanks again for the help. i'll post my results.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

i cant even move the flywheel at all! where should i start. i connected the battery. the starter worked and i could here a spark. since i does not mover either way i assume it would be safe to try the top end? what sould i remove first. what would be the most common problems with these motors when they sit a long time. thanks again for all the help.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I'd get a manual first, then pull the head and see if you can tell why it's stuck. <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i would pull the plugs and pour oil into the cylinders . fillthem up . put plugs in let it sit a day or two . when the cylinders are dry the drag will be like it was locked . i put a piston in a dry block no rings it wouldnt go to the bottom till i put some luberkent on it thin it went easey . if the motor was running that is all it could be . i have a 1972 factory manuel if you need some info i could copy and e mail it to you . i dont know how to send it to the site. papasage10@yahoo.com.i have a 1974 &197250 hp . motors the parts will interchange dont know about the55 . i have a 55 1979 basikley the same . it sat for7 years cleaned carbs new fuelpump plugs .it started right up . ben running it all year.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

whats up. the cylinders have been soaking with DEEP CREEP. still wont move. i was able to look inside the spark plug hole and did see rust. i will keep soaking for now and see what turns up. thanks again for all the help.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

If the bores are rusty, the outlook is rather grim. You may be able to free it up eventually, but I wouldn't take any bets as to how long it would last. :eek:

mufdyvr002

Cadet

i guess i'll try removing the cover that the spark plugs are on. looks like i might have better access to the tops of the cylinders. maybe it will be easer to clean up. any thought from the pros? thanks again.

D

DJ

fefu,<br /><br />The cover you are describing is the water jacket cover. It won't give you any better access. Best to just remove the head.

mufdyvr002

Cadet

thanks for the help, i got laid off from work so i'll have a little time on my hands. i'll be pulling the tools out to see if i can free up this motor of mine. the head will be coming off today. i'll keep you kind pros out there of my progress. i've ordered a manual but that wont get here for a while. there will be more questions. now the carbs have to come off ect. to pull the head off of this motor? that would be the oppisite side of the water jacket.i am an ase master tech but i'm totaly new at these types of motors. i know i CAN figure it out like i do everything else. thanks again for the help all you pros gave this humble outboard beginner.

D

DJ

fefu,<br /><br />The carbs are at the other end of the power head from the head.<br /><br />The head is the rear most component and is what the spark plugs go into. There are bolts in two circular patterns around the perimeter.