starting fluid is the only option?

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1979 johnson 4 hp seahorse. The darn thing will not start at the beginning of the day. I pull and pull, choke and not choke? The only way it will start is to squirt a small spray of starting fluid twards the carb. It will fire right off then and every time after that first pull..runs great? I have been all through this motor to figure it out...any ideas? Model # 4w79d<br /><br />Thanks,<br />suzuki40

coot10185

Recruit
Re: starting fluid is the only option?

I use starting fluid alot and I've come to realize that its very ADDICTIVE once you start spraying it you can't stop.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

The choke is closed yes. I have tried every position. It just wants that hit in the morning or shee will not start?<br /><br />suzuki40

John Reynolds

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was told on this forum that starting fluid was bad for your 2-stroke engine.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

John Reynolds is correct.Never use ether to start a 2 cycle motor. They must have lube in the fuel mix, or your motor is being ground into an early grave.<br />We used to use WD40, until they changed the formula (they used a flamable propelant), and it made excelent starting aid for otuboards. But now, we are stuck using mixed fuel in a spray bottle.<br />I think you might have a problem with compression, if it is taking that long to start with the choke on. You must also squeeze the primer bulb until firm each time to start cold.<br />And choke it to death, until it fires-off. Choke on until it catches . It won't flood out, and in the rare case it does , it means your problem is not fuel pick up , but ignition.

suzuki40

Petty Officer 1st Class

This motor has no fuel bulb, Its tank is built into the top of the motor. syphon all the way.<br /><br />suzuki40

alcan

Commander

Hi Suzuki<br /> You say you have been all thru the motor. So this means you have checked the fuel tank, the screan in the tank, the petcock not leaking air, no fuel hose leaking air. You have disassembled and cleaned the carb, Float level correct, all gaskets installed, not sucking air at the intake manifold. How about ignit? Flywheel key installed properly? Points adjusted correctly? As 12Footer suggested what about the compression? Have you checked the main seals for leaking? How about the exhaust cover/manifold? Many times when a 2 stroke motor won't start or run well it is due to the exhaust being plugged or restricted with carbon or what ever. I had this very problem this spring with my weed wacker. The mud daubers built a little nest in the muffler.