Johnson TD20 Cooling System

C Horse

Recruit
I have read all the posts related to TD20 and have learned quite a bit already. This site is really nice and easy to use. This is my first outboard motor<br /><br />I have a Johnson Sea Horse 5HP TD20 that was passed down to me from my father. I remember him telling me he bought it new in 1947 or 1948. I recently started it and it ran fine.<br /><br />I did not get a manual with the motor and was wondering if anyone could help me with the following.<br /><br />My question has to do with the water cooling system. Would there be a screen of some sort to clean or a way to clean out the water intake line/system as it appears it has plugged up?<br />The motor was pumping out water after I initially started it, but when I stopped it and restarted it did not put out wanter anymore. I shut it down before it overheated. I thought it may have picked up some debris from the barrel I was using.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />C Horse

alcan

Commander
Re: Johnson TD20 Cooling System

Hi C. Horse<br />The water pump on this model is driven off the prop shaft. Remove the prop, there is a cover with three screws in it. Remove cover, this will expose the empeller. You can blow air or water up the pipe to clear or what ever. This is a fairly simple system. If you still have problems you can disconnect the copper water pipe at the power head. There is one elbow that has a pin hole in it for a tale- tell, might just have to clean it.

C Horse

Recruit
Re: Johnson TD20 Cooling System

Hello to you alcan and THANK YOU!<br /><br />People like you are why this site is so great. I hope someday to have gained enough knowledge to also help someone out.<br /><br />Your recommended fix sounds like something I can do and I'm sure will do the job.<br /><br />Take care and THANKS again.<br /><br />C Horse