johnson 9.5 seahorse short shaft

scuda

Recruit
hi ,lotsa questions ...areparts still available for these things?<br /> the model no of this motor is readable apart from the first digit which is one of the following 0 8 9 d an the rest is r72m can anyone tell me what year this motor is?<br />were they reliable?<br />are there any failings that commonly occur in this model?<br />i havn't got it running yet ..although compression is even & feels good through the rope.<br />is there any way to convert these outboards to remote steering and gearshift ,throttle etc?<br />last but not least if it runs ok will it have enough grunt to push a 14 ft ply modified vee hull ? the boat is very light thanx guys

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: johnson 9.5 seahorse short shaft

Hi, Skuda.<br /><br />The are plenty of parts available for your '72 Johnson.<br /><br />Dealers, NAPA Auto parts stores and many websites have them.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

scuda

Recruit

hey jb ,thats good to hear ..many thanx for your reply cheers scuda

russell02050

Recruit

We have had a '57 7.5 seahorse on a 14 foot dory's (the motor outlived its first wooden boat and is now working on its second one - a fiberglass dory). 9.5 - 10 HP should be fine as long as you are not in a hurry. Good luck.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i just bought a boat with a 1972 9.5 on it and within a week i get 2 other engines just like it. i got them all running they are pretty simple engines to work on so far. i have to change the shift lever on 1 of them and that looks like a pretty big job. if you are plaining to keep the engine get a maual for it. i just ordered 1 myself.as far as the remote steering goes i have not seen anything like that on an engine like this.i kinda like the tiller arm if its too short just add a peice of pvc pipe cut it long ways about 4 inches (just a slit) and hold it to the tiller arm with a few hose clamps