85h johnson hydroelectric shift schematic needed

joelster69

Cadet
i just aquired a 1972 85hp johnson hydroelectric shift, has a 15 pin plug for the control box, need to make a starter, shifter ,choke ,controls out of radioshack switches, any one know what these wires are, <br /> black white blank blank blue/grnstrpe<br /> <br /> grey green blank BLUE/whi blank <br /> stripe<br /> red fat blue blank brown blue/purple<br />5 rows of 3 pins, 3 blanks. thanks!

ledgefinder

Ensign
Re: 85h johnson hydroelectric shift schematic needed

Your description of the connector sounds like the motor is older than 1969. I can track down the wire colors in any case, but it'd help to know for sure what motor we're dealing with.

joelster69

Cadet

this motor, says<br />model 85 ESL-72R<br />SERIAL J3679491<br />HYDROELECTRIC SHIFT

ledgefinder

Ensign

Tag sure says '72 85hp. The plug sounds wierd, though. On all the V4s, 1969-72, it should be 10-pin, round, and about 1" in diameter, 3 big pins, 7 little. We're talking about a plug under the motor cover, right? <br /><br />Is the center of the prop hollow, so that the exhaust passes through it?<br /><br />OMC used many of the same wire colors around that era, so here is the color/function breakdown for the 1972 85hp. Since we have this wierd plug, take all this with a grain of salt & double check against what you see wires going to & what you're getting on your volt-ohm meter when you try different things. Given the costs of replacement pulsepacks, rectifiers, stators, etc. you really ought to find a wiring diagram, but if you're going ahead anyway...<br /><br /> black - ground<br /> tan - hot horn. This'll be 12V live 'open circuit' across the plug when the ignition's on. The temp sensor grounds to the block when the motor gets too hot, completing the circuit & sounding the horn.<br /> white - juice to solenoid<br /> dk green - live for neutral <br /> dk blue - live for reverse (Apply 12V to both blue and green to get reverse, just green for neutral, no voltage gives you forward. If you're motor is actually earlier than 1969, these'll be different & the no-voltage state is neutral.)<br /> purple/white - choke, terminal 12 on motor strip<br /> purple/green - terminal 10 on strip, leads to diodes then stator<br /> purple - term 6, leads to red lead on rectifier<br /> red/purple - 20 amp inline fuse, then on to the fat red terminal on the solenoid<br /> gray = tach lead.<br /><br />I don't have a brown or a blue/purple.

joelster69

Cadet

THANKS, this helps alot!, the plug is at the end of a cable that comes out of the motor 8 feet long , ill look at the other end that goes inside the motor, let you know if its round, and yes ill be careful ,the center of the prop is hollow,thanks again,

ledgefinder

Ensign

You might consider just picking up a used control off eBay - the hydroelectric ones usually aren't too expensive, maybe $25. As long as they have that round, black connector (not red or yellow), you're OK. I'd look for one with key(s), cable, complete wiring harness, known to be working.

joelster69

Cadet

im looking on ebay,i see one with a red plug, but it looks like what i need, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31283&item=2409508722&rd=1 <br />i lost another bid last night went past 50$, but its was complete, thanks now i know what to look for,i did win a bid and got a electric shift throttle and shifter, but its missing all the igniton stuff(different type),the web says i can get a ignition box for that model,

joelster69

Cadet

the one on ebay is exactly what i need, i think ill bet set now! hope i win this bid!

ledgefinder

Ensign

Maybe cheaper in a few weeks, when boating season really kicks in. You could try contacting eBay id "gaffmaster", he has a couple he'd probably sell directly.

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Off topic sort of, but a bit of advice on <br />buying things as cheap as possible on ebay... <br />ie poaching.<br /><br />For whatever reason, people don't bid<br />"the maximum that they are willing to pay"<br />they bid the most they want to pay and if somebody<br />out bids them it gets into a testosterone battle<br />and the price spirals.<br /><br />Pick a $ amount which is really the most you would<br />be willing to pay for this item. It is a good<br />idea to see what the going rate for such items is<br />by searching completed item sales.<br /><br />Then approximately 10-15 seconds before sales end<br />bid your "real maximum amount", if you get out <br />bid so be it, do the same on the next similar item<br />that comes up. If you win, you will win it for <br />the least amount without some other bidder assuming<br />that you are questioning their masculinity by <br />out bidding them. (Assuming male bidders of course<br />but you get the idea)<br /><br />Good luck<br />Mike

Firestomper

Seaman Apprentice

i have got a controller off of a 1971 50 hp johnson if that will help ya keys wires plug throtle cable