112 sp evinrude trim

mike818

Recruit
i have a 112 sp 1996 and the trim works good till i turn the key on when i do it trims the motor all the way down and the pump will keep going the on way to shut off is to push the trim button up or down and it will stop for a second when relessed it will start again but as soon as you shut the key off it is back at normal thanks for any help

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 112 sp evinrude trim

Hi Mike.<br /><br />I just want to be sure I got this right. When the key is "OFF", the tilt and trim works OK. When you turn the key to "ON", the TNT runs the engine all the way down and continues to run until you turn the key off. Is that about right? :confused: :confused:

mike818

Recruit

yes that is right also if i puss in the tilt button on the gear shift either up or down it will stop it then when you let go it will keep going

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mike is this a problem that just cropped up or did ya' inherit it? Sounds like right now you got a bad switch in the control handle or the switch on the lower motor pan if equipped or a short to one of the TNT switches. If there is a switch on the lower motor pan, disconnect the red wire to that switch and see what happens. If it still does the same thing, disconnect the red, blue, green connector to the TNT box on the back side of the motor. This should isolate the problem to a faulty switch. I'm going from memory here, hope somebody corrects me if I'm wrong. Old Timers diesease ya' know.

mike818

Recruit

the switch works fine till i turn on the ingnition to the run postion. the trim on the handle and the side of the motor both work. and it will only get stuck in the down postion with the key on other wise all works good

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mike, it sounds like ya' got a hot wire laying aginst one of yer down wires that is energized when the key is turned to "ON". Still sounds like a bad switch. Likely in the control handle. I'll take a look at a diagram when I get to the shop in the morning and drop ya' a post as to where maybe to look. If'm ya got a email address, I'd be happy to drop a direct line.<br /><br />Jim

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mike....find the connector that ties the remote control switch to the TNT box on the back side of the motor. From the prints I have, it will have a blue, green and white/brouwn (?) wire. Disconnect this "deutch" (think the spelling is right) connector and try it. I still think the problem is in the switch on the remote control. Please let us know if this is a problem that just cropped up or did you get the engine this way. Thanks. Jim.

mike818

Recruit

ok everything is back to normal that blue/white wire was melted to the engine so i cut it back and replaced now it is back to normal thanks for the help