80 HP electramatic Johnson

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again!<br /><br />The information on the motor in question is Johnson 80 HP Electramatic---Super sea horse.<br />Mdoel 4VAL-180<br />Ser. J2655430<br />Here is somemore information on how i got the boat. So far I have 42.00 in a manual. The boat and motor were given to me by a friend that had no interest in it. Has sat for almost 12 years. He had spread mouse poison all over in hopes to stop them from hanging out in the boat. From the looks of it the mice liked the poison!!! LOL I measured the shaft size and if I am correct in the in the way to do so it has a 20 inch shaft. I have pulled the cover off to find the timing belt broke as well as "bad hole" on one of the heads written in black marker. No info has been given to me on why that is there or if it was ever fixed??? I have ben looking on ebay and checking prices on used motors and not sure what way to proceed? I have no way to check the condition of it unless it runs and all the wiring seems to be bare. It has the old cable steering. I am a motorcycle shop owner and can work on most thing fairly easy, however...... This is a total change for me. You have a great site message board going here and have looked through and you have alot of knowledge, it just shows! Hope to get this old girl going the boat is in really good shape kinda faded but maybe that can be buffed out??<br />I sure hope I didn't get a free anchor instead of a boat!! The kids are really in to helping get this on the water. The truth is so am I!! I hope this gives you some more to go on and thanks once again!!!<br /><br />Brad :D

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 80 HP electramatic Johnson

I have another thought. The boat says 1000lbs limit and 100 hp max. While looking in to all my options what is a decent size/hp for lite tubing maybe a little skiing just a weekend warrior kinda thing. Is the weight of older motors the reason for the 100hp max I am guessing the newer motors are less weight? The boat is fiberglass. Not sure what else I can say about it??? Thanks again Brad

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It is a 66.I think I mentioned before some of the V4 ignition parts are costly not sure about yours.<br /> Locally typical price for a decent used dist. cap is $35.Check the compression.Drain and check lower unit lube.If it appears creamy or has <br />water in it You may need to rebuild but wait and see what else is needed.Those electric shifts are a bear to take apart.Follow the directions to do a shift test.<br />Before going too far check the boat for rot in the transom and floor.Grab the motor and shake it front to back and watch for flex in the transom.<br /> Sight along the the bottom of the boat look for any hooks or bulges or depressions from the trailer bunkers. Good luck.

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip!!! I have been looking over the boat its self. The whole boat is very solid!!!!! No rot anywhere! Makes me happy since I pulled up shot the breeze for about an hour not really paying attention to the boat hooking up to the truck, then try to catch my 2 in a half year old (he was more interested in my friends puppy. Made the trip home and it has sat all winter. I have been looking over the wires, all the wire with insulation is so had and brittle the rest bends well but has no insultion! LOL. I am going to read a little in the manual and see what tomorrow will bring.. I will post as I go Thanks for all replys!!!<br />Any other tips are welcome as well!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Brad :eek:

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I think I'd remove that head that sez "bad hole" and see what that means. You being a m/c wrench should have any trouble with that. It may help you decide if you want to go any farther or not.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

I did pull the head off and looked fine. I have not done a compression test as of yet--Loaned out my test kit and need to track it down!! Know that feeling???? LOL. I am getting lots of offers on older johnson outboards from bidding on ebay for a motor. My thoughts were the motor I have needs lots if elec parts. I could maybe get a simular motor age and all and make 1 good one out of two. Atleast cut down on buying high dollar parts for a 30+ year old unit. What are your guys thoughts??I figure a V4 johnson motor of that vintage may have alot of the same parts and swapable??? Am I crazy??<br /><br />Thanks fellas!<br />Brad :D

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

B n T,Another thought.It is obvious your motor needs a lot of work.It has a number of drawbacks,<br /> Its age, While many parts are readily available<br />some will be hard to find and expensive.It is a heavy motor and pretty much a gas hog.If you can step into the 80s you can cut your fuel consumption in half and at $2.00 a gallon that<br />could add a lot of pleasure to your summer.<br /> And of course parts would be a piece of cake.

Brad-nTrish

Seaman Apprentice

That makes sense! I am looking into all options like I said before, However my next question is are the newer motors less weight-per HP? I have a few offers for a little over 100hp my boat says not to exceed 100hp----- Is that because of power or weight? If it's because of weight I could always go that route??? I have noticed how $$$$$$ this activity can be and want to get the best deal I can, however cheap can mean more money in the long run!!! Been there, done that!!! LOL. I was thinking I could get the price down because of the boat being free....... and solid.... Let me know your thoughts, I can't tell you how great you all have been!!!!!! Thanks again!!! Brad

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Dont exceed the rating on the boat It is based on weight and power.There is also legal ramifications if anyone gets hurt and you are running over the rating.It wouldnt be hard to beat the weight on that old V4.I dont have a clue of the weight but for instance I know some<br />motors in the 80s get 80 or 90 hp out of 3 cylinders.There are probably even more impressive examples.Just stick with name brands Evinrude,<br />Johnson,Mercury and some of the other brands<br />just be sure you have a good dealer in the area.<br /> Avoid brands With guestionable factory or dealer<br /> support or poor parts supply.