Keel Guard, Skegg Guard Products

NYMINUTE

Captain
Any of you readers ever try these products. Saw them in a Catalog a while back and thought they may be helpful, if for no other reason cosmetically. If you have either on your vessel, let me know your take on their performance. Thanks. :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Keel Guard, Skegg Guard Products

I have used SkegGards on several boats, NYMinute.<br /><br />They do an excellent repair on damaged skegs, but more important they protect undamaged skegs very well.<br /><br />I have made hits on solid rock with no skeg or prop damage at all.<br /><br />Havent tried any of the keel protection products but they look like they would do the job.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rogerwa

Commander

I have a KeelShield on my keel. I have bare glass from beaching when I bought the boat. I applied MarineTex and put the shield over it and now I beach with confidence. I have had it on for almost three years and it is trouble free. I would classify it as a must have if you beach at all..

f_inscreenname

Commander

I have the Scuff Guard for the bow of my boat . Where the front roller of a trailer meets the bow eye. After repainting the roller would always damage the paint there. With it no problems. Cut it to fit and peeled the paper off the back and stuck it on. Been there all summer with many launch and retrieves. Looks like new. If you trailer it is a must have.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Thanks to all, it sounds as if it will be a good investment. I love this forum.

RedRangerVIP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

f-inscreenname,<br /> Can you tell me where you got your Scuff Guard? My boat could sure use one. <br />Thanks<br />Larry

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bass Pro Shops is giving a free stainless steel scuff guard with the purchase of a keelguard.<br /><br />I purchased one earlier this summer and put both on in about an hour.<br /><br />I believe the free scuff guard offer is good until the end of the year.<br /><br /><br />Kevin

datawire

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have more than a single intersection of angles in the vicinity of your bow eye - the scuff guard will not work. It can handle being bent across the keel, but if you try to force it into an additional bend to match some wierd hull contour like mine... it just won't lay down right. Had to pull it back off and man - that adhesive sure sticks well.

RatFish

Chief Petty Officer

Overton's was running the free scuff guard deal with purchase of a keelguard. Don't know if they still are though.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Megaware KeelGuard Inc. Bought it on line. Cost $26.00

Ralph 123

Captain

You can get good deals on both off eBay - Skeggards and keelshields.. I use skeggards and they are terrific. A friend uses a keelshield for his boat and it does a great job of protecting the keel from the trailer and beaching which he does often. Before he put it on he was always damaging his keel and spending lots of time repairing it.

PAkev

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Datawire, A hair dryer or heat gun will take care of that problem. Not really sure when you put yours on but it is also recommended to apply the keelguards in temperatures above 60 degrees so that it is plyable enough to follow the boats hull curves.<br /><br />Both keelguard and keelshield offer lifetime wear and adhesion warranties. I would much rather spend a few extra sheckles from an established company that you can go to through if it ever needs replacement.