Disconnecting the shift rod on a 92 Evinrude 115 Shift Rod

DAWG1

Recruit
OKAY, the world now knows I am the complete idiot. Now that I have that behind me. Can somebody, anybody, clue me in as to how to get that darn pin out of the shift rod connector so I can get on with changing my water pump? I will name my next grandchild after the blessd soul that helps this embarassingly simply problem. I have tired every punch known to man and God, no joy. R/

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Disconnecting the shift rod on a 92 Evinrude 115 Shift Rod

Greetings DAWG1 and welcome to iboats.<br />I've never had to disconnect the shift linkage you're having a problem with but I know from hanging out here on the board, you ain't the first that's had their as* whipped by it. If someone doesn't respond with an answer for you, try the "search" function. There's been a lot written about it.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

blackcreek

Cadet

Disconnect shift cable from motor, pull small cotter pin at base of shift linkage, push linkage in towards carbs this will release the small pin in the shift rod. Hope this helps.

ob

Admiral

Dawg1, blackcreek is correct.Remove the hitch pin beside the shift arm bushing and this will allow you to push inward on the shift arm separating the bellcrank from the shift rod.I also like to remove the pin from the shift cable plastic clevis as it will allow you to swing shift arm and bellcrank clear once disengaged.This will allow you to stab lower units shift rod easily when reinstalling without hitting the bellcrank .

D

DJ

Dawg,<br /><br />The others are right. It also helps if the engine is in reverse gear-more room.