title problem ? any johnson/ evinrude outboard owners

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class
my buddy fairly new to the boating world bought a 225 johnson outboard from a dealer. he just got the title about 3 weeks later and it says its a evinrude. <br /><br />should the title say johnson 225 ? anyone know this? do you think this dealer is trying to pull a quick one or is the title the lefit for this outboard.??<br /><br />please let me know because i dont want him to be stuck with a motor that he cannot move in the future.

ob

Admiral
Re: title problem ? any johnson/ evinrude outboard owners

Have your buddy match the model number and serial number from title to motor.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then, if thats correct... have it redone to read Johnson. Somebody screwed up! Gotta have that title right...or you got problems down the road! :(

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

A title for an outboard engine? Is that a Texas thang, or is it a bill of sale or a receipt for the engine. Do you have to register your engines there? ...Bob in Calif...

mattttt25

Commander

don't title engines in md or nj either. would have no problem selling it here...

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Yes it is a Texas thing to title motors. :(

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

And a Missouri thing, too. Gotta have it!

skydad

Cadet

If all the numbers match, you should have no problem getting a name change. I bought a new Chevy P.U. a few years ago and the title came back showing the make as GMC. I had no problem getting it corrected.

letsbarbq

Petty Officer 1st Class

nope, the title number and number on the motor does not match. He can keep it now but if my buddy wanted to sell the motor. He would have a hard time selling it because a outboard motor down here in texas without proper ownership or the right title is considered a stolen motor.<br /><br />well, I called the dealer and he said to bring back the title and get the serial number off the freeze plug on the motor. Now, its making me wonder.....<br /><br />Just curious, if you do not need proper titles for the outboard motors. Then how do you know if you are not buying a stolen motor ??? How does the state keep track of the motors then?

ob

Admiral

I'd have my buddy pass on that one.That dealer sounds shady to me.I'm wondering where he got the title he gave to your buddy in the first place.

Bob in Calif.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My sugestion to you is to copy the serial and model number, while making sure the plate ser#. and mod#., are the same as the ones on the freeze plug, if not, copy them down also, then go down and go to your local sheriff's office or police department and have them run the numbers thru their computer for any current or past history of being stolen. I'm sure they will do it for you. They will run it thru the "N.C.I.C." system, (a nation wide crime information system) and determined if it has been reported stolen anywhere, or if it has been recovered recently from something such as booty from a theft, or other suspicious activity. This is the same system that missing persons, stolen cars, boats, guns, etc., are enterented in. <br />This sounds like MORE than an oversight on the dealers part. Good luck and keep us posted.<br />...Bob in Calif...

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like somebody screwed up in the back office...however if the hedge just once, I'd talk to the police! :rolleyes: ;)

Capt Ken

Commander

Now I'm curious. If an engine comes from Florida, which doesn't have titles on engines, and goes to Texas where there is, then sold/traded for another engine, where does the title for the Florida engine come from. Or is it like getting a trailer title in Florida. Ya just go down and tell them you have a trailer and they give you a tag and title. Just another way for the state to pick up some more tax dollars.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Capt Ken----I have just resently found the titled owner to a motor I bought for parts at a garage sale. Took me a month to find them. In the state of Texas all boats and motors are required to be titled. They are tittle separately so a person could sell either. If you sell a boat then the new owner must transfer title and registration. A person in Texas can sell a motor with out a title if it is for parts only. The hard part comes if you rebuild the motor and try and sell or trade in, it then you must have a title. <br />The motor I bought at a garage sale was missing the lower unit and had no controls or harness. Was going to replace the power head on a friends motor and buy it from him, found out power head and mid section on motor I bought at garage sale was in better shape. Finally found the heir of the original owner (son). Was told that the owner had died about 8 years ago and motor and boat was given to grandson who sold it to a friend and the friend moved before they finished paying it off and title was never transferred. The son was real nice about everything. Now I just have to get a copy of his (owners) title and have the son sign both it and the title transfer paperwork and get a copy of the death certificate.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I think for $15.00 or so, you can get in touch with the Texas Parks And Wildlife and make application for a lost title.<br />I've got a '78 Evinrude 235 block that doesn't even have nrs. on the Welsh plug. I haven't called them about that one yet.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

93bronco

Ensign

south carolina is the same way, you can sell the power head and midsection seperate no title, but if they are bolted to gether you have to have a title. they say it has to do with theft, what a crock. how many car motors do you see with a seperate title. its all about property taxes. if you buy a motor from another state and they cant title it to tax you you cant use it. and they just now started a "rat your neighbor out" thing where if your neighbor is a resident <or renting for over 90days> of sc and something in his yard registered is in another state, rat him out and get a discount on your property taxes for the year. they send an investigator out to get the info. we are fast becoming a police state dont move here if you like your freedom and money in your pocket. cause if they can tax you they will.