98 Evinrude 115 hp thermostat sticking

rleckste

Cadet
I've got a 1998 Evinrude 115 hp that has thermostats that stick, at least thats what it seems and thats what I have been told. It usually only happens 1 or 2 times a year. The engine overheating horn will come on, if you tap on the thermostat housings this will open up the thermostats. How big a deal is it to replace these thermostats, if thats what it really is. :(

D

DJ

Re: 98 Evinrude 115 hp thermostat sticking

4wheeler,<br /><br />Is the housing you are banging on at the bottom of the powerhead? If so, you have a crossflow V-4.<br /><br />The stats. are under that housing. It's tedious to get the housing off, but it can be done. It helps if you drop the pan about an inch (lower) to gain access to the bolts.<br /><br />It may not be your stats., the bypass poppets may also be sticking or getting cocked in the bore(s).

rleckste

Cadet

djohns19, yes the housings are at the bottom of the powerhead (the older style). How do I determine if It's the thermostats or the bypass poppets, what do I look for. Thanks for your reply.<br /><br />P.S. I called my local Johnson/Evinrude dealer and he said it was about a 2 hr job for them.

Hank Snow

Recruit

I have a 97 115 Evinrude V4 which I purchase new. When I tried to start the motor after it's first winter storage the heat alarm sounded. I had the thermostats replaced and the problem recurred each spring thereafter. I took the motor to an authorized dealer/mechanic and I was told this is a common problem for this engine and they suggested I race the engine at high rpm's to free the thermostats. It seems to work but each year it seems to get a little more difficult to get the alarm to stop sounding. There has to be permanent fix for this, if anyone knows what it is please advise......Hank