JB,SLOOPY or other such Johnson experts

Whitlers

Seaman
59 35hp Johnson calls for hypoid oil. Can I use 90W Synthetic ? What if anything should I look for.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: JB,SLOOPY or other such Johnson experts

I would not. Use the recommended lower unit gear oil. Considering it is changed every season using the standard lower unit oil will work fine.<br /><br />Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm with Bob.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

sloopy

Commander

and I'm with J.B ;)

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Couldn't help but chime in. Use the Hypoid. Your motor is designed to work with it. Why change when it has been working great for 43 years? As a side note, no matter what you use, never use "Automotive type gear oil". According to the 14 or so warnings in the repair manual for that motor, the automotive type will foam and the gearcase does not have extra room for the foam.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got one too...'59 35hp with '60 40hp powerhead and cowl.<br /><br />Always used hypoid 90. Never any problems.

BillP

Captain

Use what the manufacturer says and relax. If you are concerned about the gear case lasting, reseal both shafts and check frequently for water.

Whitlers

Seaman

Thanks all I was considering going synthetic but now I absolutly will NOT. Its folks like all of you that make this such a great site. thanks again<br /><br />Jim

sharpsburg

Cadet

Gear Oil is cheap (of course it depends on where you buy it). You can even get it at your local department store in those "convenient" squeeze bottles. My recommendation: instead of those, buy a pump for the quart containers to avoid excess spillage. Marine gear oil is (for the most part) the same. Don't fret too much...as others have noted before me.