1995 200 HP Johnson Ocean Runner Stalls at Idle

RHB

Seaman Apprentice
Carburetor #3 fuel spitback at high idle. When idle RPM's reduced motor coughs through #3 and stalls. I have removed the carburetor to clean up. Any advise appreciated.<br /><br />RHB

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 200 HP Johnson Ocean Runner Stalls at Idle

I would check for a stuck or broken reed valve on that cylinder.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Reed failure is very very rare, but it does happen. Most likely the reed box gasket is dislodged or torn. You have to remove the carbs and the intake manifold to replace it.

RHB

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.<br /><br />My Johnson service manual fuel system trouble check chart lists the leaf plate (Reed Valves?)gasket as most likely cause. Are any special tools required to remove the carbs as an assembly? I seem to recall torx style screw heads.

RHB

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks seahorse.<br /><br />I pulled the carb, cleaned and rebuilt it. Installed carb same problem.<br /><br />Removed the carb and intake manifold and looked down into the reed box. I can see the gasket has been dislodged. I will replace the gasket and try again. <br /><br />Any suggestions while I have it torn down this far?

clanton

Rear Admiral

I would loctite all of the screws inside the intake, that I removed.

RHB

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Clanton I'll do as you advise.<br /><br />Sorry if this has been covered but as I look at the reed box I don't understand what it does and how it does it. What moves and what is the source of energy to move it?

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

The reed valves open from the suction created when the piston is moving upward in the cylinder. They are the flat finger shaped pieces on the inside of the intake.

RHB

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks BK '68 I think I understand how it works.<br /><br />Since I'm waiting on a gasket set from the dealer I spent some time getting a good look at the carb/throttle plate assembly. I removed all 6 carbs as an assembly and wondered why OMC chose to hang the bottom two carbs off those U shaped adjustable links?