How does a Johnson 130HP V4 compare with a 125 MERC inline-4 ?

joe-doggs

Cadet
Dear friends, Im considering both a late 125 MERC inline 4 with the 2+2 carb setup OR a 1996 130HP Johnson V4 - any suggestions would be appreciated ! Which one is lighter ? <br /><br />Thanks

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How does a Johnson 130HP V4 compare with a 125 MERC inline-4 ?

Get the Johnson. The 4 cyl mercs don't like to spin past 5500 and the hole shot can be finicky on the 2+2 deal. Besides you will be able to get a lot more help with the Johnson over on the S&F board if you run into problems or want to go faster. Just don't tell JB Cornwell that your going to put it on a 120 rated hull.

joe-doggs

Cadet

Could you suggest any performance parts, porting mods or tuners for the V-4 ?<br />I agree with you on the Merc inline - it seems to be worhless from a drivability from 1800-2800 or so rpms - IE the band where it kicks in the other two carbs .. But - its the only m<br /><br />Thanks !

joe-doggs

Cadet

Could you suggest any performance parts, porting mods or tuners for the V-4 ?<br />I agree with you on the Merc inline - it seems to be worhless from a drivability from 1800-2800 or so rpms - IE the band where it kicks in the other two carbs .. But - its the only merc I can get on my boat - seems like a Force with tricky carbs - I know I know - its loop charged ..<br /><br />Thanks !

ivar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Before you start to do any mods to your engine , it will be way cheaper and more rewarding to find the right prop (preferably SS) and mounting height for your boat.

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know much about the OMC's to tell you what the most effective mods are but there are quite a few OMC gurus on the other board that can help with that motor if going faster is what your after. You won't find much help with Mercs until you talk v-6's.<br />I can tell you from personal experience though that if what your after is an extra 5 or 10 mph then playing with different setups, carbs, or exhaust chest mods can be fun to mess with. But if your after a 65 mph bayliner you're much better off finding a hydrostream or checkmate that is better suited to take the power.<br />Two other alternative power options would be a v-4 yammy or inline suzuki. The yammy's are supposed to be very reliable and there are some people to help with mods for those too. The suzuki's are also reliale, 115 powerhead is very similiar to the 140 powerhead, and I've been finding them used pretty cheap lately. But, parts and service suck and your on your own with mods. But I'll say it again if you want to go fast then buy a cheap force or inline merc, sell it, and then buy your self something else.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

There's a coupla OMC Gofast Gurus on this board too but they operate mostly underground and in the shadows.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

joe-doggs

Cadet

thanks guys - have a great week