89 90HP evinrude missed occ. then clunked and over revved no water pumping

raygun

Cadet
motor missed at speed sometimes, but warm would run great. occasional oil warning, thought possible short. has vro. running fine today and then clunked, stopped turning the screw and overrevved, even at idle postition on restart attempt, so i got towed home. on restart no water out of indicator. i think it might have a bad ground on a coil,causing the intermittent miss, but haven't found it yet. any thoughts on what broke and where to start? sometimes what appears to be oil (Lower gear oil?)leaks out on outer housing below powerhead. did i cook a seal and bust a shaft? obviosly the water pump is not working. does the lower unit pump its oil up the shaft to the powerhead? if i put it in gear with engine off shouldn't i feel compression when i turn the prop? i don't now.<br />whoops. any thoughts are appreciated as to where to start to get back on the water.

raygun

Cadet
Re: 89 90HP evinrude missed occ. then clunked and over revved no water pumping

whoops, its an 86 if that matters.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds like the drive shaft or crank has broken. Pull the plugs and see if you whave compression on all cylinders. If you do then drop the lower unit and see if if the drive shaft is broken.

kart33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Put it in gear and turn the flywheel the prop should turn if it doesn't, turn the propeller the flywheel should turn. If neither is frozen it is the driveshaft more that likely. Drop the lower unit no matter what and see of you can determine where the problem is as it won't fix itself. Good Luck

raygun

Cadet

well i pulled the lower unit. not good.<br />splines on driveshaft thrashed. looked up there into crankshaft and don't see any splines on the female side. whoopsie. i guess it's new motor time. any suggestions?