1997 Johnson 50hp idle problems

ssulkazi

Cadet
I have a 50hp Johnson 1997. It worked fine one day until iwas coming in to the dock and put it in reverse when i got off of the trottle in reverse it stalled. It started fine and there was not any problem. The next day I started it up with muffs and it ran fine. The same day I brought it to the water and I let it warm up for a few minutes and then took off. It didnt want to run in the lowest throttle setting. It would stall out. Since then it wont idle anywhere in or out of the water. If I tilt the motor up and put it in the lowest throttle setting before it stalls and then drop it down to level it will stall. It needs more throttle when level. On the other hand it runs fine when you give it some gas wot and everything ... just wont idle. Squeezed the buld and nothing happens still stalls. Took off the panel in front of the carb openings intakes and saw some gas there i guess is it supposed to have gas there? maybe it was because I squeezed the bulb too much? Any way I would appreciate the help. Thanks :confused:

Greg Lawrence

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1997 Johnson 50hp idle problems

yeah if you tilt the motor way up gas will come out. first thing drain your bowls and see if anything comes out? get the manual of course. you cant do it without it.

ssulkazi

Cadet

What do you think about the stalling and the rest of the problem? I am not really concerned about the gas just the idle problem.

RICKRICK1

Ensign

Sounds like you need to rebuild the carbs, needle and seats for the float. Had that happen once before. Motor is flooding. Runs good at wot, but no low or idle range. As greg says with a manual its pretty easy.