1960 johnson 40 hp carb

starcraft guy

Seaman
I just put in new carb kit, what do i set low speed at ,and high speed? And i have some parts left over,<br /> thanks river run

starcraft guy

Seaman
Re: 1960 johnson 40 hp carb

Found out what leftover parts were for,<br />Now what do i set the low and hight speed jets at? <br /> thanks river run

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

low speed. turn screw all the way in and seat it very gently. Back it out one and a half to two full turns. start engine. It will run rough. turn screw in 1/8 of a turn at a time until engine starts to die. then back out 1/8 of a turn until you have your best idle. if you have the knobs on them remove it an replace it to 12 o'clock after you get your idle set. Your high speed you will have to adjust as you run down the river to find your best top end.

starcraft guy

Seaman

Hello all<br /> Ok i have got fire, put in carb kit set low speed<br />at one to two turns out ,motor will start and run for a few sec,then quit ,It will only run when choke is on full, but when i open chock up it quits and gas runs out mouth of carb,i cant keep it runing long enought to set low speed, there seems to be lots of gas at carb when chocked, <br />but when choke is off it wont run at all<br /> could this be a fule pump not working right?<br />Could i use an electric fule pump with this <br />1960 40 hp motor? I have a huge right arm now<br /> from pulling the starter cord<br /> Thanks river run

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have tried to respond twice. Your float is still stuck inthe carb. replace the needle valve and seat. Set the new float so it is level with the carb when turned upside down.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The stock fuel pumps work fine unless there is an obvious leak. No reason to jury-rig an electric one.<br /><br />The best investment you could make in a 1960 40hp engine is an electric starter. I also have one and they aren't fun to pull. Just get the parts off a junk engine on eBay. Don't even need a generator if you charge the battery at home every few weeks.

starcraft guy

Seaman

Thanks fireman and Lark 40<br /> Needle and seat are new ,I must of set float wrong i will do again and see what that does,<br />I found a parts motor with a electric starter and flywheel last weekend,the guy wants $100,00<br />for the whole thing, he also has a good powerhead<br /> 1960 gale he said it's the same motor as the 40 <br />johnson and that it works good no lower unit with it he wants $ 100,00 for it too ,I was thinking<br />if i had both of them i would have lots of parts, <br />Would power head from gale fit my lower unit <br />are thay the same? <br /> thanks for all your help river run

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Double check that flywheel with the one you have. The 1960 40 had a small diameter crankshaft that sometimes broke and many were upgraded to the '61 and later larger cranks.

starcraft guy

Seaman

Thank you Seahorse<br />I will check that before i buy,If the flywheel nuts are the same size should cranks be the same?<br />Thanks again <br /> river run

horst86096

Cadet

don't give the guy more than $50 for each 'parts' engine. there are a zillion of those old 40hp engines out there and a complete running one might get $100 but certainly not an incomplete one. But hey, it's your cash... I'm a notorious cheapskate.<br />Horst

starcraft guy

Seaman

LOL ,I'am a cheapskite too,<br /> There don't seam to be many around my area,<br />But i will try to beat hin down on the price,<br /> I priced some new parts ,Away to much,<br /> Thanks Horst<br /> river run

miketk

Cadet

i also have 1960 40 sea horse i break fly whell key did you ever have that problem?

miketk

Cadet

i also have some spar parts.cab, fuel pump, block.

starcraft guy

Seaman

I just bought this 40hp ,don't know much about it ,Trying to get it working right,I don't know what would keep braking your keys,Mabe there is some play and the flywheel moves abit befor chank <br />turns that might shear the key,<br />just a thought<br /> river run

miketk

Cadet

i got my 40 running last night its run great hope your is ok.i have parts if your interested.

miketk

Cadet

my problem was the spark advance was not set right.