Does anyone know anything about stators and timer assemblies

mylin

Cadet
I still haven't heard from anyone about my ignition problems. I own a 1994 evinrude 112 and it is firing on three cylinders not four. There is no spark on the fourth cylinder. I really need some ideas so that I don't spend all that money to find out it is not that part.

ob1jeeper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Does anyone know anything about stators and timer assemblies

It won't be the stator... That's just a fancy name for one of the components of your alternator, which re-charges your battery.<br /><br />Your engine's "fire" (spark) is developed by a magneto, which feeds the coils (one coil for each cylinder)... since it's firing on 3 of the 4... I'd be suspicious of the coil, the coil wire to the plug, or the plug itself... (or a poor ground for the coil...)<br /><br />Good luck...

mylin

Cadet

Hey thanks for the reply! Unfortunatly I have already replaced the coil and the powerpack seeing most mechanics thought that it would be that. So I am down to stator or the timer assembly, from what you said since my motor is still running on three would you think it was the timer assembly? Realy appreciated the write back :)

clanton

Rear Admiral

You need a meter and check the output on the timer and stator, would have saved you the price of a power pack. May be bad connection.

loganmallory

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hi <br />i will start by sating that i know NOTHING about your particular motor, but what i normally do in your situation is start taking parts off of the cylinders that DO work, and put them on the one that doesnt, one by one. when the bad one finally goes, you know which part it was!<br />hope this helps...<br />tim