flywheel part number?

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 2.5 liter seadrive that threw two of the magnets on the flywheel. I have been trying to find a used flywheel with no luck so far. There is one on ebay now that is from a 1988 evinrude 150. He says the part number is 582573. Is this also a 35 amp charging system? The flywheel looks the same but i am wondering if someone can cross-reference the motors or part numbers and let me know. Kind of a pain to have a boat that has been sitting for the past month. Thanks in advance for any help.<br />Steve

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: flywheel part number?

Why dont you epoxy the magnets back in the flywheel?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A new or used flywheel is very likely to do the same thing. I would reglue the magnets (very common) and know I have a good wheel. <br /><br />Good luck!

wrestler20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i was going to epoxy the magnets back in, but i am just not sure of that fix. The mechanics around here say not to do it because it will never be strong enough. I figured i would at least look for a flywheel that was was in decent shape just to be aware of all of the options. Have you epoxied the magnets in frequently? What epoxy did you use and how well has it held? I probably would already have done it if my mechanic didn't look at me like i was an idiot for mentioning it. Anyways, do you guys know if that even is the same flywheel? thanks for the info,<br />Steve

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Done properly (very easy to do) it's stronger than a new one. Yes, I have done many many flywheels. I have even changed the center hub magnet. If your guys don't feel comfortable doing it, send it to Clanton. I'm sure he and many others here will be glad to do it and its cheaper than another one.<br /><br />We use a 2 part epoxy. We remove all the magnets and glass bead the magnet area inside the wheel, reglue the magnets and paint the wheel. The only wheel that looks better then is my gold anodized racing flex wheel.<br /><br />I'll sell you that one for 1200.00 if you like.<br /><br />Good luck!

clanton

Rear Admiral

2 part duro works good, was OMC approved fix,they are epoxy in when new, OMC sold the glue and magnets as seprate part. The inportant thing is to clean flywheel and magnet.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OMC (now Bombardier) dealers sell the magnet kits with epoxy or just the packets of epoxy by itself.<br /><br />www.outboardparts.com sells the magnet retailer kits that correctly space the magnets and retain them without using epoxy.