Old Johnson 55

Glasstronbomb

Recruit
I've got water in my lower unit. It's due for a new pump impeller. Whats involved with replacing drive shaft seal & water pump impeller? Shes a 3 cylinder 55 I don't know the year. The only # I can find is J3010476 Thanks Guys!

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: Old Johnson 55

They only made the 3 cyl. 55 for two years. The 1968 model has a rectangular plug where the boat cable attaches to the motor cable. The '69 has a round plug.<br /><br />Normally you don't have to replace the driveshaft seal when doing a water pump job.

Glasstronbomb

Recruit

Thanks Seahorse, Shes a 69 (round) Can water get into the oil other than the drive seal??

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

There are about 8 seal or gasket areas that water can seep in, not counting a cracked or porous casting.<br /><br />A vacuum and pressure check is the only true way to find leakage. On a motor that old, worn bearings can make the shafts wobble and leak while running, yet hold pressure and vacuum when sitting still.<br /><br />Make sure you have a service manual before you start tearing into things.

Glasstronbomb

Recruit

Thanks again Seahorse!! Yea, I ordered one last night. I know when I'm in over my head. I'll get her back in the water yet!!!!<br />Thanks <br /><br />Kent