81 evinrude 90 hp. stalls at idle speed

bill giffear

Seaman
Need help,,engine starts right up,primer bulb is hard. runs a little rough at idle speed.As long as I run it at WOT or 1/2 speed it runs all day as soon as I back the speed down close to neutral it stall, then won't start! I already put in a new fuel pump and filter,also drop tested fuel system no leaks! thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: 81 evinrude 90 hp. stalls at idle speed

Are the carbs clean? Is the fuel fresh? Is the oil ratio correct? Compression OK? What about spark plugs? Start with the basics. <br /><br />If the motor has been siting a couple of months you might want to look at carbs and fuel.<br /><br />Good luck!

bill giffear

Seaman

Thanks Dad, plugs are new,gas new,50/1 ratio and carbs were cleaned! think it might be a electrical? bill

gcman49

Cadet

Does the flywheel turn freely. I had same problem. Had to much carbon build up in cylinders causing engine to crank hard. used evinrude engine tuner and freed everything up

bill giffear

Seaman

THANKS GCMAN 49,Fly wheel turns freely,actually started the motor with a pull rope when the battery died.also had compression test on all cylinders,tested perfect.bill

kart33

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 85 90HP Rude did the same thing and I found the small wire that goes to the coil on one cyliner had corrosion inside. Once i cleaned the connector it ran perfectly. Seem like something small but it ran fine on top end and sputtered at idle, stalled sometimes not to mention the surge when trolling sometimes, nothing was consistent.<br /><br />Might be worth a look.

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could have a coil breaking down. It gets enought juice at high rpms but not enough to plugs at lower. Check for spark when you turn it over at neutral/low throttle. If spark is weak or nonexistent then replace that coil.