60hp johnson full throttle only goes to 3000rpm

mookieo2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have a 60 hp johnson. i got it running great for one night and never again. now when i give it full throttle it doesnt want to rev past 3000. the linkage engages all the way. when it ran good that one magical night it reved up to around 4600rpms at around 32 mph. nowwhen in neutral if i push the linkage down by hand it revs past 5000rpms. ANY IDEAS. A new powerpack and coil were on when i bought the bought a month ago.i replaced the fuel lines and adjusted the slow idle on all the carbs the night it actually ran.NEED HELP!! :mad:

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 60hp johnson full throttle only goes to 3000rpm

Hey Mookieo2,<br />Sounds like the linkage is not advancing the timing as it should. Check the linkage again. By the way, I would advise against reving the motor while in neutral. Good luck.<br />Backlash

D

DJ

mookieo2,<br /><br />I do not know what year your engine is. However, you may not be running on all cylinders. That can only becaused by two things.<br /><br />1. Spark-check this by unhooking plug wires one at a time and noticing the reaction of the engine. No RPM drop=dead cylinder.<br /><br />2. If your engine has more than one carb-same thing. Hold your hand in front of the carb throat and note RPM difference. No change=clogged carb. You will have to remove the air silencer to do this.

fireman 757

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like you have a bad ignition coil. I will break down at high rpm and arc to the block thus no enough spark to the plug. Swap the wires to the plugs and see which one misses. Replace the bad coil and you should be on your way again. If you can run it in the dark you will probably see a blue spark from one of the coils. Replace it.<br />Oh, and don't forget to put the plug in.