68 rude {Ear muff's which set of vents do I cover?}

Dennyps

Seaman
68 Evinrude [55] 3 cylinder 2 stroke Model #55873R Serial#J03806. I want to use ear muffs to check direction of my propeller turning checking the tranny. This baby has 2 sets of inputs/vents. It has an upper pair and a lower pair, the lower pair are right above the cirular housing where the impeller is and the upper pair are between two set's of fins. I can't figure out which set to put the ear muffs over. I already got the motor running in a trash can w/out the prop on, but to much going on in the water to see what direction the prop is turning. Anybody have one of these or experience in this type of motor. I checked the manual and all it say's to run it with ear muffs is to place them over the water in vents in to prevent damage to the impeller, it dosen't designate which set to place the muffs over. Note: I tried the muff's with the lower vents when I first got this beast started and the exaust appeared to be coming from the actual propeller housing {is this normal?} but it makes me nervous not knowing if this is one of the motors the manual describes as "a model that has the intake located on the exaust port and you must consult your evinrude dealer for a different type of flushing device". Long and short of it, which set do I place the muff's over to protect the impeller? Thanks in advance, Denny

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 68 rude {Ear muff's which set of vents do I cover?}

Dennyps<br />Put the muffs on the lower slots, this is the water intake.<br />Backfire ;)

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

When running that motor in a tank, you can easily tell whether the shift is in forward or reverse by the direction of the water movement -- nothing subtle about it, particularly with a 55 hp. Prop is turning clockwise in forward gear.

Dennyps

Seaman

Thanks backfire & oldboat1, for the tips I will use the lower ones. Hey oldboat unfortunately my can is not big enough to run my leg with the prop on so I am running without the prop, so the water is really not influenced enough to tell the rotation direction. Take care and thanks again, Denny

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral

OK, Dennyps. Good luck. I hope you have your forward and reverse set up correctly before you venture out the mouth of the Columbia. I had the steering reversed once, and didn't notice it until I lauched the boat -- but I guess that's another story.<br /><br />(Hey -- don't think you should fire that thing up without a prop or (better) a test prop.)<br /><br />Regards...