INTERESTING! Learn how to start your engine

MOTAS

Seaman Apprentice
200 HP Johnson 1989, I have made all what you, the experts, have told me to do , but I see in this forum and on the water that this is a common problem in all 2 strokes engines. Why?<br />Cold or warm it starts ok, revs for 30 seconds ok and puff!! stops!, four to five times starts and stops... and finally it runs perfect.<br />It is only a problem at the starting, very similar to a car that is cold and you have to choke it, but these engines do not have a choke.<br />IF it is gas or electric failure it should affect always the engines, but they run perfect after they start. <br />Thank you for your reply, this is a great forum .

jwhite

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: INTERESTING! Learn how to start your engine

Yes it does have a choke. To crank the engine pump the primer bulb, push the key in and hold it in while you spin the motor over (that is the choke). When the engine fires off let go of the key. Now pull up the warm up leaver and turn the engine over again without pushing in the key. It should start after the second or third try. Let the engine warm up and pull the warm up lever back down and your ready to go.

petryshyn

Commander

As WM says, it has a provision for enrichment and fast idle as do automobiles. Only difference is, you control it. Follow WM's advice. If you hear the engine starting to faulter after a few seconds, push the key in again as needed. Its a manual system relying on your input.... :)

MOTAS

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much for your responses I would like to know what exactly the warm up leaver is? Does my engine have one? Everything else that you mentioned we have already tried. The boat usually starts but once it starts if we try to give it gas it will turn off inmediately we have to do this about 5-8 times or until we start going. We appreciate the help you have provided us and all the other boaters out there that will benefit from your expertise

alcan

Commander

Hi Motas<br />If it dosen't, it should. I can't think of any single stick controls that don't have a warm-up feature on them. Now which control was rigged in your boat I don't know. If you have a standard OMC control you will find a small lever with a catch on it, above the key. Other designs use a botton in the center- pivot of throtle\gear leaver. The botton releases the gear shift action so you get throttle only. Most all engines need special settings to start easy. Now days our car engines take care of all that stuff automaticly. With your outboard when you lift up on the warm-up lever it, will set the timing advance,and throtle to the best setting for starting.

MOTAS

Seaman Apprentice

Just to finally clarify the procedure to start these engines, is the warm-up feature the same throtle\gear leaver disengaged and at a partial throtle?. Is this correct? :rolleyes: <br />Have a great weekend!

alcan

Commander

Hi Motas<br />If you have that style of control, then your are correct. By disengaging the gear shift function, you have warm up. Others you would leave the main stick in the neutral position, and lift the small lever. Once started and warmed up, return small lever down, then use main lever as intended. You might want to ask a knowlagable freind, or a dealer in your area, to demonstrate the proper function of your control.

PULLNIT

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Motas<br /> If you have a single lever control,You can engage the warm up by pulling the control handle out and pushing forward. John

MOTAS

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much for your recommendations. They are very helpful for most of the boaters whose main concern is the time that takes to start their engines while family or friends are waiting to enjoy the day.