johnson model # 35EL77 white Smoke

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer
I recently rebuilt the carb on this motor, also cleaned leaf plates, and decarbed. Before this work the motor would stutter and spit black or grey smoke, now it stutters, less often, with white smoke. My question is what would cause this and how do i rectify it? Any ideas would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks Dale

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: johnson model # 35EL77 white Smoke

How long have you run it since you did the de-carb? If you used the spray the white smoke will go away...it is just residue burning off. <br /> Read this article too it will help :) <br /> http://www.boatsetup.com/decarb_carb.html <br /><br />Bob

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Bob_VT, as far as the smoke goes I guess I'll have to let her run a while longer. Could this be the loose carbon being blown out? It seems to run smoke free for a minute or so then it will give a little hick-up and blow out some smoke.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

ok. here's an update on this. I let it run for rouhgly 1/2 hour, most of the smoke is now gone. Some on start-up but not much. However, around 1/4 throttle and up it'll stutter and give a puff of smoke. Is this normal after decarbing or is there something more wrong? Also should the upper exaust hole have water coming out of them? They did for about 25 minutes then stopped, I then shut the motor down. Let it sit for a few minutes and restarted, water then came out the holes again, the telltale never stopped having a steady stream though. Any incites? I am baffled as to whether this is all normal or not. <br /> Thanks<br /> Dale

petryshyn

Commander

you might want to take her for a run. Then change the plugs. Decarboning can result in crabon traces forming on the porcelain which encourages misfires....<br />Try readjusting carbs if adjustments are provided.<br />If the white smoke and sputtering continues after a good run and a plug change, pull the plugs and look for signs of water..... :)

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

I'll have to give it a try. I'll post the results when I do. Thanks. You folks are a god send to novices as myself.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Thanks,Schematic. I allways wondered why plugs seemed to roll-over and die after decarbing.I've allways tried to time the treatments to when new plugs were due. This hasn't allways been the case, as I gotta decarb way more than normal(extensive seacow idle zones). But I now know what is killing the plugs. Ya learn something new every day on this forum :D

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought here but could some of this smoke be attributed to an improper fuel mix? I'm running in a test tank and the water has quite a bit of oil on the top now. My thinking is maybe there's an excess of oil in the fuel and that it's burning off in the engine hus producing the smoke. I still plan to take her out asap but this was jst a thought I had. <br /> Thanks<br /> Dale

G DANE

Commander

Hi Dale<br /><br />If you run it in a test tank without a test propeller that makes it possible to have the motor under load, unburned oil will always gather on surface. The motor does not get properly hot either. Plugt will easily foul too. Combustion will not be good. When you take your motor up from tank, unburned black oil will dripp from drain holes at lower unit. Take the motor out for a run at 3/4 to WOT for some time, but make sure it is cooling ( check tell tale and feel at powerhead once and in a while ) Then change plugs and i think both your sputtering and smoke issue will be gone. It sputtering is still there, it is probably the intermediant jet dirty - it is located in top of carb, just at intake side of butterfly. Run a little wire through.<br /><br />Good luck

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice, I'm hopeing to get her out next weekend. I'm just trying to get setup for a fishing trip memorial day weekend and I really don't like being suprised out on the water when somethings not right. In any event I'll take all the advice and run with it as far as I can. Thank you again. <br /> Dale