Boat Won't Plane

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat Won't Plane

Capt DHD..<br />I am chilled, but your right frustrated.<br />Got it to plane today.<br />Water dead calm, 4750 rpm (approx.), @ 43mph anything above started to porpoise and bow wouldn't come down, but much more speed.<br />Don't want to add more weight to the bow. I will look into the wedges.<br />Actually, I can live with this speed, it's a comfortable ride and fish don't swim that fast anyway, but I would like to get all I can out of this rig just in case.<br />I will keep playing with adjustments and I will stay chilled.<br />Thanks again to all that have offered advise.<br />Thanks,<br />Michael<br /> :D <br />edited ps,<br />tach is oem supplied by omc.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can see why you're frustrated with the boat running like that. Instead of overpowered, maybe your motor is too heavy for the hull design. The 150hp max rating tells you what power it can handle at the prop but not necessarily how much weight it can handle aft on the transom. Different 150's weigh different amounts and on a light aluminum hull that might make the difference (do you have an older heavier 150?). Basically you need something that's going to compensate for the trim imbalance the motor is causing -- Capt DHD could be right but I'm not sure that wedges will work?? I've only ever seen them on an oldstyle skiboat. I think you are still going to have a bouncing bow with associated control/porpoise problems with wedges and you are going to have to operate the boat at extreme trim all the time. <br /><br />Don't take just my word for it (maybe others have views), but I'm repeating my earlier post that I think trim tabs are going to be your answer. Even though its an aluminum boat, they should in theory bring your bow down, steady your trim, reduce the porpoising and speed the boat up. Tabs are recommended for RIB inflateables which have the same problem as an aluminum -- not much weight causing them to be stern heavy. Try the links below for reviews on cheaper self-adjusting tabs for boats under 20' (about $180 for your boat I think), or spring some real money for adjustable bennets (FYI, I've put my money where my mouth is on this -- I just ordered the self-adjusters for my 16' boat after talking to a guy who bought them for his 15'this summer and says its a totally different boat -- I read reviews like those below and decided to go for it).<br /> http://www.docksidemagazine.com/Dec_2000/Dec_Featuredprods/Equipment/smartabs.htm <br /> http://www.diy-boat.com/Pages/Archives/links/2-01/powerb/powerb.html

Clay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

remove the michagan prop and use it for a paper weight. try a quicksilver four blade. they tend to lift the stern and reduce porposing

MGuckin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I did check into trim tabs and also wedges. Boat planes fine but not as fast as I would like on the top end.<br />I think I will leave it for the moment. <br /> ;) <br />Michael