Best Cooler?

zoom50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to replace my rear bench seat in my 19' Mach I with cooler seat(s). What cooler would you recomment? Any suggestions on how I can fasten the cooler to the floor that is easy enough to release if I want to remove the coolers? Thanks.

mattttt25

Commander
Re: Best Cooler?

i'd go with igloo. they make a marine cooler in every shape and size you could imagine, although you may have to order one from a marine store (i had to for the front of my center console for it to be just right). not knowing your set-up, can't tell you which size. most marine centers also sell brackets that mount to your deck and create a secure space for the cooler. one recommendation if you go this way- trash the straps that come with the brackets and buy the right size bungie cords. take on end off, feed it through the opening on the side of the cooler (near the handles) and re-attach the end. Use the cords to secure the cooler in place between the brackets.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The problem with most of the mounting systems is that they attach to the deck so they are still there, to be tripped over, when you remove the cooler.<br /><br />I had a RubberMaid cooler that was simply excellent, not that it matters, they quit making them. I bought one of those 150 quart Igloos, the ones with the little lid in the big lid (aboiut $55 from Wal Mart), and it has proven to be absolute junk. Doesn't hold ice well, the little lid leaks in rain water, doesn't drain completely so cleaning is a constant necessity. Then I bought one of the Marine version of the Igloo, 156 quart I believe it is, and it is a very nice ice cooler and they sell cushion tops for them too. This one was quite a bit more expensive, at around $240 as I recall, and the cushion will run another $50 or so. It holds ice very well. <br /><br />Thom

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Out here we like the Igloo Marine coolers. They hold up well to the sunlight, and keep ice well. The hinge fastenings could stand some improvement though.<br /><br />As far as fastening to the deck, we don't. Like Thom says there'd be things to trip over and we don't want that when in the midst of a chinese fire drill, aka fighting fish. We use a piece of non-slip mesh liner under the cooler. This mesh (see link at bottom) has kept our coolers from sliding around very well, in some pretty nasty seas. The ice/drinks/fish at the bottom of the coolers (or people sitting on them) easily keeps them from lifting up or falling over. And the coolers can easily be placed in different locations simply by picking up and moving the mesh; no holes in the deck, no worries about water getting in and causing rot, nothing to trip over :cool: . Try it; if you don't like it you can always go make holes in your deck.<br /><br />Non-Slip Liner

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I installed some D-rings in the inside gunwhales of my bowrider, in the back. Put a cooler with cushioned top between the rings and run a bunge from one ring to the other through the cooler handles. Works well. Now I want to the liner material to boot...looks interesting.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

That liner looks like the stuff my wife puts under area rugs in our hardwood-floored house to keep them from sliding around. I think you can get rolls of it just about anywhere. You could probably use contact adhesive or something to fix it to the bottom of the cooler too!

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I like Tim Mc's post. I never thought about using those things. I am pretty certain that one of the hardware manufacturers (Taco, Perko, Whitecap, someone like that) makes a flush mount ring in stainless that you would mount (countersink) into the deck so nothing would stick up when it was not in use. They wouldn't corrode but would be there for bunji cords when needed. I might look into that myself. If I do I'll post pictures.<br /><br />Thom

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

That liner looks like the stuff my wife puts under area rugs in our hardwood-floored house
That's what I used. Works great.<br />Tom,<br />McMaster Carr has a good selection of d-ring if you can't find them anywhere else.