What is the best way to get a name off of gel?

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I want to get the name off the back of my boat it is painted on and I do not want to harm the gel.<br />any thoughts would be apreciated.<br />Alex

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: What is the best way to get a name off of gel?

Let me tell you how I just did it.<br /><br />I used a non toxic paint remover. Now, before you faint, this is the way to do it.<br /><br />do just a couple of letters at a time.<br /><br />Use a small brush and coat them with some paint remover, it will not take long before the paint starts to peel up as it isnt very thick.<br /><br />Then scrap it away with a plastic putty knife, and imeadiatly wipe it off with laquer thinner and then go to the next one.<br /><br />When you are done, lightly rub the area with some rubbing compound and then apply a good coat of wax to the area,<br /><br />Now, Because I am not there to watch and supervise, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

yep lubedude is right... just be careful!

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

If name has been on a while, there is a possability that the gel coat under won't be faded and the rest of the boat maybe. So the name may still show after removed.<br /><br />DougV>

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by djvan:<br /> If name has been on a while, there is a possability that the gel coat under won't be faded and the rest of the boat maybe. So the name may still show after removed.<br /><br />DougV>
Good point!! :eek: <br /><br />Then you have to paint a new name over it.

eeboater

Commander

isn't it bad luck to change the name of a boat?! I'm not superstitous or anything, but you know -- boating is full of supersitions. <br /><br />Sean

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used acetone with excellent success. Wipe it on and rub a little and the paint is gone. Acetone does attack the gel coat but you have to use a lot to hurt it. Acetone evaporates so fast it won't hurt it during the paint removal process.<br /><br />If you're nervous, try a little in an inconspicious spot first.

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put a big sticker over it :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />.

brother chris

Commander

Well, now I don't have to ask. I am about to take the name off of my boat. I have acetone...I think I will try that.

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will you need to remove the serial numbers and alter the papers too... ;) ;) :D

Hotrods

Petty Officer 1st Class

Go to your local paint store, they should carry a product called Aqua-STRIP'''' ive used it on mine. It is made for this and it will not hurt the geal coat.<br /><br /> Aqua-Strip

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

Easy Off oven cleaner worked great for me and didn't hurt the gel coat at all.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

It's only bad luck if you change the name of your boat if you originally named it. If you buy a boat that already has a name, you are allowed to change it, once. ;) <br /><br /><br />That's the rule.

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

No, no, no....on changing the name of a boat, you can't be too careful. There are many different ceremonies for the change (Google had 1,610,000 hits), and choosing the correct ceremony is part of the fun. Plus....most of them involve good quality rum.<br />I like the ceremony so much I do it once or twice a week....and have yet to get to the name change part.... :cool:

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did the same even found one that wanted to sacrfice virgins. I liked it but found it to hard to find them. The one used around here is to remove old name write on bottom in chaulk the old name remove anything bearing the old name. put her in the water and let the water wash it off. drink and rename her.<br /><br />Thanx for all the advice I will try the acitone first. <br />Alex

Mdude

Cadet

That's great. But all kidding aside, if the name has been painted on the boat in "One Shot Enamel," you can take it off with oven cleaner.

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Mdude:<br /> That's great. But all kidding aside, if the name has been painted on the boat in "One Shot Enamel," you can take it off with oven cleaner.
Thanx for all that replied I got the name off do not know what it was painted with but wadda b***h to get off I tried aciton oven cleaner finnaly had to go the wet sand route came up quite well, just keeped sanding with water and a fine sanding pad and then went over the whole area again with 1500 although I do not think it was required. but it is off and also washed off the bottom. I had her out on Saturday.<br />Alex<br />PS you can really see what needs cleaning now.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Mdude:<br /> That's great. But all kidding aside, if the name has been painted on the boat in "One Shot Enamel," you can take it off with oven cleaner.
What about trim tape / boot stripe ??? :confused:

Alexo1us

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by KaGee:<br />
What about trim tape / boot stripe ??? :confused:
I ready took the all stripes off her not sure whether I like them off or on But the next thing is to get the Renken decals made took pics Do the art work and re print them.<br />Any one know what that Font is I have seen it before just can’t remember where.<br />Anyway the plan is to clean her up fix any boo boos like the one from the front roller. I have noticed a lot of what look like pits in the gel, know this is not good. Wondering if I should paint the bottom if I do what would be a good paint keep in mind that it will be rolled on around a trailer. So any advice on this would be helpful I have a jack so I can move it up off the trailer a bit this all below the water line the rest is perfect other then real dirty 25 years of out door life can do that. There are lots around me who think hell it running and it doesn’t leak Hava blast but I say have fun and work as well only cost me time for the most part anyway.<br /><br />Alex