timing

chasem

Cadet
hi every body ,<br /><br /> Does any body out there no the timing setting for a 1979 55hp evinrude.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: timing

Hi, Chasem. Yep, I know the setting, but you don't want to hear about it. It takes three pages in the manual and requires an OMC test wheel. If you have a question, I can try to help.<br /><br />To the question you didn't ask, the answer is: Clymer B736 Shop Manual. Most Auto Supply and any Marine Supply Store. About $35.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

chasem

Cadet

J.B I would have to get a test wheel to get my motor timed right

JB

Hi, Chasem. What makes you think your engine is not times right? There is no wear-component in the system that would change it.<br /><br />Do you have a problem?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

You don't need to check this timing with a test wheel but you do need to check it with the boat cruising unresticted with the timing fully advanced .This means on the water ,pointing a timing light at your flywheel and bouncing around.PLEASE, BE CAREFULL, and have a careing and attentvive pilot and wear your PFD.

chasem

Cadet

J.B you asked my if I was having a problem with my motor. Well I am , to start off after I have run the motor for any amount<br />it gets so hot. When I turn it off it wont start up again. My idea for it not starting the huge amount of heat is streching the copper in the starter and when it cool I can <br />start it. Second it drinks gas like a mack truck . And third when running wide open , <br />itskind off picks up then slows down a teenie bit. but you can feel the motor doing<br />this.

kev_79

Petty Officer 1st Class

chasem, call me at 5014544652, I'm in AR. Or post your number, and I will call you.

chasem

Cadet

J.B I have another question for you or any body that can anwser this . I am interested<br />in becoming a outboard motor mechanic . By my <br />house they have a junior college that offers <br />marine engine repair and rigging . I am going <br />to take these courses but I would like to be <br />certified to work on omc motors how can you go to the OMC factory school or any other outboard motor's factory school.

JB

Hi, Chasem. It's been many years since I consulted for OMC, and then I only trained Master Wrenches how to teach. At that time (70s) you became an employee of a OMC Dealer, who sent you to school to become certified. My guess is it is still that way.<br /><br />The best first step is to get a certificate or Specialized Associates Degree in Marine Technology (different schools use different titles). By reading this board for a while you can tell that there is a real demand for good wrenches, and that it is a good and satisfying career.<br /><br />Good Luck! <br />Red sky at night. . . <br />JB :)