Evinrude V-4 rebuild

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an 86 110 in need of a rebuild (broken oil line caused a piston to melt). I think I will lose the VRO and premix. I also have a friends 120 down that fried a rod bearing and wasted the crank. Bad for him but spare parts for me. I have 2 questions here. First, his motor has rubber blocks behind the reed valves. Should I use these on my motor and why? Secondly, a corner of the exhaust block behind my "bubble plate" has broken,rusted or melted away. Should I use the part from his motor or leave this out? Are there any other tricks a poor man can do to help this engine? Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude V-4 rebuild

Your 110 is a crossflow and 120's are loopers and are completely different. The good news is that loopers didn't use the rubber stuffers behind the reeds so most likely your friends motor is a crossflow like yours. <br /><br />The rubber stuffers don't do much below 6000 RPM but I would put them in if you have them. If the melted exhaust piece you are talking about is the insert that's held in with 3 bolts, leave them out and use the bubbled plates.<br /><br />Good luck!