Dhadley/Dunk new plugs-less wot rpm

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guy's,<br />I have the trusty Ol' 225 V6 "Looper" 1992 Johnson. Based on JB/Dhadley/and Dunk's recommendation , I wanted to replace the plugs with the correct Champion plugs. I got a set of 6 QL77-JC4's and when I went to replace the old plugs , I noticed they were NGK-...something. I replaced them with the 77's and now my WOT went from 5500 down to 5300. Is this normal or should I put the old NGK's back in. Or maybe use the Champs and re-prop???<br />Thanks for any input.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Dhadley/Dunk new plugs-less wot rpm

You have the correct plugs now. The 77's are good for a lot more RPM than 5500. When was the last time it ran at 5500? Also check the primary and secondary wires on each coil to make sure they are on good. Clean the primary and secondary posts while youre at it. Look at the plug wires. Sometimes the bottom ones can short to the hood latch. You can switch the plug wires from the top to the bottom if you like. You can also change the plugs back one bank at a time and then one at a time to eliminate a weak new plug.<br /><br />This is all assuming the ignition is good, the linkage is going to full advance and the fuel is new and clean (no water).<br /><br />Good luck!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

And the compression is good. Almost left that out. Sorry!

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks DHadley,<br />The last time it ran at 5500 was just about 1 hour prior to the plug change out. I have a new oil/fuel filter seperator and the fuel is from over the winter-aprox. 6 months old. There is 1/2 tank in the main and 1/2 tank in aux. 50 gallons or so total. I noticed that I had quite a bit mor blue smoke for the first 1/2 hour or so after the plug change out. Now I have a faint blue smoke exhasut and it seems fine. Why would I have a period of heavy smoke for a 1/2 hour? Perhaps a VRO problem?<br />Anyway the compression is within 8 psi across the board 82-90. The engin idles great , starts instantly, and overall runs smoother than with the NGK's. I'm puzzled on this one!<br />Thanks Again DHadley

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Try something for me. Get another fuel source like a portable tank and run the motor with FRESH 87 octane fuel (and oil if non-oil injected). Just make sure you have a tank with a 3/8 ID hose. Let me know how you make out.<br /><br />Good luck!

Mattash

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your time DHadley,<br />I will try a tank of fresh 87 tomorrow. I will also rig up at least a 3/8" line on a portable tank. <br />Perhaps the excessive white/blue smoke could be moisture in the fuel?<br />By the way, I have not seen the excessive smoke the past 2 short cruises.