1986 - 225 Johnson - cuts out at mid rpm

Up North Bob

Recruit
My engine acts like its not getting fuel at 4000 to 5000 rpm after its been running for a while. It will cut out and in and gradually looses power to the point that it will bearly run. I've tried a different fuel tank but it still does it. Any suggestions? :confused:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1986 - 225 Johnson - cuts out at mid rpm

Everything in the fuel system is suspect, from the tank to the intake. It does sound like fuel starvation. But bear in mind, these engines use engine compression to operate the fuel pump (no compression, no pump action).

R L PLAYER

Recruit

Bob I had the same problem with my 1986 omc seadrive 200 hp.Itried everything as far as the fuel was concerned,including a remote tank.Was advised about compression also.After all that and a new power pack (I had already replaced one earlier)I checked the resistance of the coils.One did not meet specs as per manual.Changed out coil from Seilor and engine runs fine.

Up North Bob

Recruit

Thanks for the feedback - I'm on my way to talk with an OMC mechanic who called and said I need a new "CD" pack - what ever that is. But, MasterChief, who is Seilor? Do they make coils? Thanks also for the reply from 12 Footer. This is a very good bulletin board.

Buzzard

Recruit

You may have solved this problem by now but here is my experience with a 2.7 Liter Seadrive:<br /><br />Unexplained cut outs have been the result of two things. Intermittent in nature made it harder to diagnose and the fact that one of the problems is not in the OMC shop manual. One solution was to change a power pack. One power pack supplies power to three cylinders. When it started running bad I would stop the boat after a couple of minutes of limping along and feel the heat difference by touch. The cold head had the bad power pack. The other solution was the harder one to diagnose. The VRO pump needs engine vacuum to operate and if the hose clamps on the vacuum line are loose just a bit the vacuum pressure will fluctuate and the motor will intermittently cut out and in. The above experience did not come cheap. Hope this helps.

reddog23

Cadet

Ditto on Buzzards comment.I have a 87 225 and "lost" a power pack and had the same symptom.I have a temp guage on each cylinder bank and i could see that one side was much cooler than the other. I changed the power pack for that side and everything was fine.I later changed the other pack and kept the replaced pack for a spare. <br /><br />Reddog

MOTAS

Seaman Apprentice

This is exactly what happens to my engine. Reddog: Are there two packs? One per side? I see only one in my 200/89. As I have spent a lot of $$$, is there any place where to get the packs refurbished?

reddog23

Cadet

I don't know if OMC went to one pack by 89. You should be able to look on your engine from the back side under the rear of the flywheel and see if you have 1 or 2 packs. Even if you have only one pack you could be "breaking down" on a few cylinders. An alternate source for the power pack is www.rapair.com <br />reddog

wippb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys<br />At the cost of the units and if you're a hobbyist you might want to have a look at this post Black Box Repair It could save you a few $$$$$. If it's broken anyway what have you got to lose.