Gelcoat repair on metalflake

pbookey

Cadet
I'm restoring a 74 Jolly Roger. The boat sat out in the sun for years with only a cover over the interior. So you can imagine the damage. The gelcoat is dried out with significant cracks over a large amount of the boat (she's 17 ft). Its also flaking out in places. The boat is purple metalflake. Is the metalflake a separate coating that has a clear gelcoat over it? If so, can the gelcoat be repaired without hurting the metalflake? Also, Near the waterline, there are some significant gouges (1/8" deep). Would a gouge like that go beyond the clearcoat? <br />I'm basically looking for some advice on how to get started on this project. I'd like to do most of the work myself. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gelcoat repair on metalflake

NavyPat, I would first make certain that the metalflake is not paint. I am not sure technology of that era produced the high gloss gelcoat necessary to create that finish(metalflake corvettes were paint I think).<br /><br />If it is paint, you should be able to determine how it was originally applied from old literature on the subject, but I suspect it was a base purple coat then a clear coar with suspended alumimum flakes.<br /><br />I have a 1974 Avenger speedboat. It was originally blue-green metalflake, but I do not know if it was paint or not. It was repainted(before I got it) metalflake blue in about 1978, probably using auto paint. In 1992, I filled gouges and wet sanded most of the old paint off and when it was 400 grit smooth, had it sprayed white with Awlgrip. it came out very well and has an updated look to it.

pbookey

Cadet

Thanks for the start...any idea where I might find this old literature?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

NavyPat, I would guess any library has many books on painting. Just choose the proper year of publication!

eta1091

Recruit

Can i get some pics of your jolly roger? i have only seen a couple and am looking for interior pics. I am looking for information on them to but have come up with nothing.
thanks
gene

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This should be posted in the restoration forum.