Evinrude Ficht 150-Clocking spark plugs?

FNG

Seaman Apprentice
2001 Evinrude 150 Ficht. Picked up my boat after having it winterized. Dealer charged me $250 for procedure then told me I have to bring it back in the spring to get new spark plugs put in. Another $100. I asked to buy them myself and I would install after running it up burning out the Fogging oil. They went on to tell me that the plugs have to be clocked so that the electrode points away from the injector or the plugs foul out prematurely and can cause pre-ignition burning holes in pistons. Is this for real? They told me it took OMC a few years to figure this out and was/is one of the major problems people experience. Problem solved by clocking the plugs. Can somebody confirm this, or is the dealer just looking for another $100 while charging $10 a plug. I am an X-auto technician. I can certainly install some plugs for less than $100. They told me you need to buy 7 plugs assuming you'll end up needing the 7th to find the right hole it fits in with the electrode pointing in the right direction. The extra labor charge was due to the time incurred swapping plugs around to find the best hole for each. Anybody heard of this before? :mad:

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Evinrude Ficht 150-Clocking spark plugs?

I can't say if it's necessary on that motor, but it would be far cheaper to buy yourself a set of indexing washers from a performance automotive outlet like Summit and do it yourself. Use a magic marker to indicate which way the electrode points on your plug, and install it to see how it lines up. Again, is it really a must on your engine? Don't know, but it can be done for less than your dealer wants.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Never heard of it, FNG, but it isn't the weirdest ritual I ever heard of.<br /><br />I don't see any reason why you can't do it yourself. I also don't see any reason that you can't clean, gap and reuse the plugs that are in there. This "you gotta have new plugs at the drop of a hat" is nonsense, just like "you gotta change the oil in your car every 3,000 miles". My ML320, at Mercedes Benz recommendation, runs anywhere from 8,000 to 13,000 on an oil change, depending on usage. You really NEED new plugs a little more often than you need a new wrench to torque them in.<br /><br />When you pull the plugs in the Spring, note where the electrode was pointing to see if they are "clocked" now.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

jungnim2

Seaman Apprentice

the pugs a QC12PIPA the a araund $13.00 a pice NO clocking ck the garp in a cuppel monts

jungnim2

Seaman Apprentice

sorry QC12PEPA is the # for the plugs

D

DJ

FNG,<br /><br />It's for real. However there was a Technical Service Bulletin or Owner Notification Program that I believe addressed this. Basically, they (OMC)installed a deflector on newer heads which effectively did the same thing. It kept the injector spray directed away from the spark plug.<br />Check with another dealer or contact the new parent company of J & E-Bombardier.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

What about surface-gap plugs?? Anybody??<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />hooty

Trent

Captain

All Ficht engines require indexing. The open end of the J-Gap is oriented towards the fuel injector. 3:00 on the port bank and 9:00 on the starboard bank. This provides smooth idle and acceleration off idle. It has nothing to do with pistion burning. It helps prevent pre-mature plug fouling. Gap plugs to .028 the spec calls for .030

John from Madison CT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

YES, these motors do require spark plug indexing.<br /><br />It is the sad ridiculous truth of these OMC motors.<br /><br />I had a OMC tech joke with me that he had to have 10 or so spark plugs in hand to change out 6 on a V6 Evinrude. He has to search to find the right thread orientation in order to get them in right. They are all somewhat different so he has to keep trying until he finds one that goes in right.<br /><br />I don't care what people are saying now... I wouldn't buy one of these FICHT motors for anything.<br /><br />John

D

DJ

I agree with JB. People change plugs on outboards way too often. If it runs fine and it's still within the window that the factory says to change them-leave them in there. It goes back to the old days when outboards really did foul plugs twice a day.<br /><br />JB-You give great advice, but don't try to sell me that MB when your done with it. By the way, I don't think anyone could find the plugs on that.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Trent is right on. ;) <br />Backlash

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, DJohns. I can see why you would be concerned. Here is what happens: The ECM monitors driving conditions and calculates accumulation of contaminates in the Mobil 1 (only). <br /><br />When I crank up "Shining Armor" I generally drive 40 to 80 miles without shutting her down or allowing the oil to cool. I often drive 800 to 1,000 miles without the oil cooling. <br /><br />Running with oil and parts at operating temperature causes engine wear and oil deterioration at about 10% of the rate with cool or partially cool engine, including oil.<br /><br />The ECM determines when the oil really should be changed (with filter change) and advises me of "remaining safe mileage". I generally take it in for complete scheduled service when the ECM says I have about 2,000 miles remaining.<br /><br />This satisfies MB's 100,000 mile warranty. I think those guys know more than you or I about engine care and life.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

FNG

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replies. I am glad to hear that its true about the indexing for the simple reason that I can continue to trust the word of my dealer. I have had a few issues with them, but overall I am happy. The last feasco I went through was getting my boat back from winterizing with somebody elses junk prop on it. I had to argue that it wasn't mine and when we went out back to see what they had kick'in around the shop we found mine at the bottom of a box. Seems suspitious, and then they sang the tune that they had forgotten to tell me they were trying to get me a warrantied prop because my hub is showing signs or going. Well I could see anything wrong with it. You could plainly see the problem with the crappy one thay gave me. So without causing a problem with the people I depend on for warranty I let it go with that. I did how ever make them put my name on mine, left it with them and expect to get a brand new one for free. Boy, all thay had to do was say how very sorry they were that such a thing happened, and it would never happen again. I am sure the shop didn't intentinaly try to steel my prop. My first thought was another customer swapped it when no one was looking. But I know my prop, and we found it in the shop, so it makes me think it was a careless act after greasing the shaft to put on the closest prop to grab instead of the one that came off the boat. :eek:

D

DJ

JN,<br /><br />If you're comfortable with it, that's OK. I just hope the service rep. is too. The PCM does not log or date when you did change the oil, so you can easily ignore-plenty do. MB isn't the only OEM with such a system. I should KNOW, I'm an OEM service rep.<br /><br />Boats are my way to play with mechanical things without someone straring over my shoulder.<br /><br />Thanks for your GREAT postings. You're a true asset to the site.

Backlash

Chief Petty Officer

Hey FNG,<br />I can certainly understand an "honest" mistake, but your dealer is REALLY stretching it IMHO. :eek: <br />I'd be a bit leary of a shop that was so disorganized that they'd put the wrong prop back on. It'd make me wonder what else they may have unintentionally SCREWED UP!<br />Good luck & Merry Christmas. :) <br />Backlash

D

DJ

JB,<br /><br />Sorry, I called you JN on my last greeting.<br />You and everyone out there have a great Holiday and best wishes for 2002!<br /><br />Thanks for all the great advice. I'm hooked.