76 55hp evinrude. won't start.

cptnemus

Recruit
I have connected a test light from top terminal on solenoid and it lit up without turning key, but there was no response from bottom terminal even when I turned the key.<br />There is no click or any sound at all when the key is turned. <br />If it is a faulty soliniod can they be fixed or will it need replacing?.<br />The battery I used has just come of the charger.<br />I hope this information helps.<br />Thanks.

petryshyn

Commander
Re: 76 55hp evinrude. won't start.

should be a couple of small wires going to the solenoid. One wire should get power from key switch when cranking. The other is a ground terminal which may find its ground through a safety switch. With key in crank position, check to see if you have power to both wires. If you do, the ground is not being supplied from the safety switch. If only one wire has power, and there is no click, the solenoid is bad.<br /><br />Please just add a reply, don't start a new topic.(too hard to follow) thanks!<br /> :)

llesnats

Recruit
Re: 76 55hp evinrude. won't start.

I have a 1976 55 Evinrude. I had starting problems too. <br />One problem was blown fuse (Someone had used aluminum foil instead of spending 25 cents) to bridge connection on the fuse which wasn't the right Amp to begin with.<br />I replaced the fuse connector with 20 amp bus fuse holder--the long type.<br />Other problem was my ignition switch had to be replaced.<br />I take it as just the problems one has with used things, things wear out. However, $50 is cheap compared with thousands for a new engine!