Which Small Motor Should I Buy?

FISH'N101

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all. I really enjoy your site. This is my question. Have a 15' aluminum fishing baot. Sylvan. I have been running a 60's vintage 20 hp Johnson. Time for a brand new one. Would like a 15 to 25 hp., Short shaft, probably electric start. Undecided 2 or 4 stroke.Would like reasonable price but not at the expensive of quality or reliability.<br />What would be some good brands and options to consider? Thanks in advance for the info.

Trent

Captain
Re: Which Small Motor Should I Buy?

At this time..I would go Honda..You will save the extra money it cost in fuel several times over.. Yamaha would be my second choice..And I LIKE AMERICAN !!!! But at this time that would be my choice.

JRJ

Commander

Chances are you will be happy with whatever 4 stroke you buy. The deciding factor is go with what your favorite dealer handles.<br />Good Luck ;)

Case

Cadet

Two excellent choices in the post above, and probably in that order. I fished next to two guys in a small boat powered by a 25 HP Honda four stroke recently, and when they pulled away, I could not hear the motor run. I ran into them at the launch and the owner said his fuel consumption is less than half of his previous 2 stroke. I also have a friend that purchased a Tohatsu 4 stroke, uses it every day and loves it. I have a Yamaha 2 stroke - so far, so good.

FISH'N101

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the info so far. What do you all think of the weight verses horsepower issues, when comparing 2 or 4 stroke. If I go 4-stroke should I plan on getting a higher HSP motor?

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Your boat has a max. hp rating...no matter which brand you choose...2 or 4 stroke....do NOT exceed the max. hp rating of your boat.<br /><br />I'm a die hard 2 stroke lover, but man... Those new 4 strokes are sooooo smooth and quiet. I think my next fishing motor will not require mixing fuel and oil...<br /><br />Good luck...<br /><br />Walt

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think I'd go by that HP rating particularly if it's an older boat.Those ratings don't allow for the extra weight of 4strokes. ;)

FISH'N101

Seaman Apprentice

Mike F. I think you might be correct. I am a little concerned with the additional weight of a 4-stroke. Especially in my smaller tiller boat. By the time you add up all the weight in the back -- Me, gas, outboard, trolling motor & battery. 25-75 lbs could be a factor. Especially if I go to an elec. start motor that would require another battery. It sounds like HONDA is a overall 1st choice, if service is available in my area.