Help buying a fuel filter/water separator

gas3255

Cadet
I need some help spec'ing out a combination fuel water separator and fuel filter for a 175hp Johnson on a 21' Chis Craft center console. It could be mounted inside a stern locker or it could be mounted externally too.<br />Need help and advice on <br />The brand to buy<br />What flow rate<br />What micron filter size(I see 2, 10 and 30 micron listed in catalogs)

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Help buying a fuel filter/water separator

RACOR<br /><br />they hold more water, have 2 micron retention rating, and water can be drained from bottom thru petcock without removing. Their patent is still active, thats why no one else makes one that can be drained.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The Racor is good, but what ever you use the passage ways thru the filter and all elbows and nipples should have inside dia of 9/32 US, some gernaic filter housings and fittings do not meet these specs. Look at a OMC filter housing,and fittings, you can see the difference. I would mount it where it will be easy to get to, you may want to remove the filter in rough water, put filter wrench in boat.

Bobby Powell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clanton:<br />Why would one remove the filter in rough water? I never heard of this in my short boating experience. Thanks for the info.<br /><br />Bobby Powell

clanton

Rear Admiral

IF the motor quit running while you were offshore or close in,and the water is not always smooth. What would you check next after checking for fuel in tank? Dirty filter or water in filter.

Trent

Captain

Clanton is right... Mount it where your can get to it.. If the filter does its job and still the engine dies do to water..YOu can remove it and drain the water from the filter. Always use the lowest micron filter because it removes the smallest particles of dirt.

Bobby Powell

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ahh I see now :eek: <br /><br />Sorry, I thought ya ment in rough seas before the engine had any problems to remove the filter...<br /><br />while were on the subject is there a disadvantage to having an in-line filter (I have one between the hose coupling on the motoer housing and the fuel pump), and a fuel filter/water seperator? I currently have both now...will this cause premature failure of the fuel pump? Engine is a '84 merc 90hp IL6.<br /><br />Thanks again-<br />Bobby

gas3255

Cadet

One last question about the filter. I think that a 35 gph RACOR filter would be adequate but should I go with the next bigger capacity which is 60 gph. The next bigger unit would last longer between changes and give me some additional margin for error

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

rule of thumb is 1gph fuel burn for every 10hp, so a 35 gph size is 2x as large as you need already.

gas3255

Cadet

Thanks for everyone's help on the filter. The rule of thumb of 1 gph per 10 hp was really helpful. That's all I need to know