looking for a 1973's evinrude 115hp powerpack

ronco69

Cadet
the evinrude service today told me that my problem is due to powerpack, that it is very hard to find and that should be better for me to change all the engine.<br />is it true?<br />thanks to all<br />Lorenzo

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: looking for a 1973's evinrude 115hp powerpack

If all you need is the pack try one from Aqua Power. It's a 5753 I think. Your guy can look it up to double check when he orders it. If it was me I would make sure they send one from AP not Sierra.<br /><br />Good luck!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Oops! The 5753 is the Pro Marine number which is probably the Sierra one. The AP one is 1401.<br /><br />Or your dealer can contact Rapair also.<br /><br />Good luck!

ronco69

Cadet

Sorry but I have not a dealer, I have to find the spare parts by myself and buy them from internet. where can I find them?<br />thank you<br />Lorenzo

NJBOATS

Cadet

OK I HAVE SAID THIS BEFORE I MIGHT BE THINKING TOO MUCH! BUT DO A COMPRESION CHECK BEFORE YOU SPEND THE MONEY ALLWAYS GOOD TO CHECK THE VITALS. LATERS

kenh1010

Seaman Apprentice

Keep an eye on Ebay, you find them there sometimes. Also, you could convert that motor<br />over to (points) for around $100 and not have to worry about the pulse pack going bad again. Its not very difficult to do.<br />I had a similar motor that blew the pack and<br />was lucky enough to get a used one for free,<br />but when that one blew, I was definely going to covert to points. Good luck.

ronco69

Cadet

First of all sorry if sometimes I can't understand at first time but I can't understand very well technical english. <br />Anyway if I have understood well this time, I could convert my engine to electronic ignition. How can I do it? where can I find the parts on the net? I was going to buy one new power pack fron Gary marine for 128 usd... <br />I'll have to change also coils that have the plastic cover broken?<br />thank you

kenh1010

Seaman Apprentice

Im not a outboard machanic so I cant give you all the details but I was told its not difficult by an older man who retired from O.M.C. in Waukegan IL. <br /><br />He told me they only used the Pulse Pack for a few years and had trouble with them and went back to points. He said I should remove the flywheel and make sure there is a cam on the shaft where the point would ride. Most of the motors still have the cam, its just not being used. He said, if you do have this cam, all you need to do is install couple coils and a set of points off another model<br />and you could get away from the Pulse Pack.<br />Maybe some of the machanics on this board could give you more detail. Good Luck,Hope this helps.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The 1973 and later models have a power pack and are magneto ignitions. The 1972 and earlier motors had the pulse packs and were battery CD ignition.<br /><br />The 1973 motor should have a small pack with wires screwed directly to it and four coils. The pulse pack motors had a distributor cap under the flywheel and wires going to each plug.<br /><br />Which do you have?<br /><br />Good luck!

ronco69

Cadet

I have the one with the power pack with screws from wich the leads goes to each coil and spark

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Good. Thats the newer style. You can get one from any of the places mentioned before. Any marine supply store or shop can get one.<br /><br />Good luck!

ronco69

Cadet

Today is arriving me, directly from US, a new power pack and four new coils. Do I have to pay attention in something particular chainging those items? I have lost (in the water) the little fuse inside the rubber protection on the top of the engine.<br />wich are the values of it to find another one?<br />thank you, regards<br />Lorenzo

Philby

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where did you order your powerpack from. I need one for my 70hp Evin. vro , but there is a backlog in the UK.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The little fuse is 20 amp.