garage sale mystery

icepick53

Cadet
I bought a 15 hp Evinrude at a garage sale. It is a model number E15RCTA, serial number E0203720. What year could this be? What is the best manual to buy if I want to try to get it running? <br />I also bought a "SeaKing" 3 or 5 horse that needs one of those ropes that you wrap aroung the top to start it. Does any body still sell these things? (This engine actually starts, though I need to figure out what sort of gear oil to use in the lower parts)<br />Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: garage sale mystery

Hi ya' icepick...welcome to the forum.<br /><br />The 15hp is an 1983. Good motors. Go to an Evinrude/Johnson dealer and get an OEM manual. You can't beat an OEM manual. Cost a few bucks more than the generic ones but well worth the money.<br /><br />As for a rope, get yerself a length of nylon cord and tie a knot in the end and attach a handle. Works for me. Your local boat shop can help ya with the gear lube.<br /><br />OBJim

D

DJ

icepick,<br /><br />You can get a copy of the OEM amnual for the John/Rude here:<br /><br /> http://ww3.kencook.com/evinrudejohnsonmanuals/ <br /><br />The Sea king will use 80-90W Marine Gear lube in the L/U.<br /><br />The John/Rude uses OMC Hi Vis, available at Johnson Evinrude dealers.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Post the serial number of the Sea King and I'll look it up for you. Sea King was Montgomery Wards' brand of motors, and were generally well built. You can get a rope at any mower repair shop, or just go buy some rope and make the handle yourself.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Forgot to add...you can use regular hypoid oil in the lower unit, or if its an older motor...say 1960 on back it may require Lubriplate 105...white automotive grease you can get at parts stores.

icepick53

Cadet

Wow, thank you for all the fast information!<br />I will get the numbers off of the Sea King on my next trip to Baja (That's where I left it, but since I only use it there, the grease and rope won't do me or it any good until I go South again in March)<br />I will also get the numbers off of my Evinrude 90 which goes through oil faster than it goes through gas! That way, I can buy the right manual and figure out how to set the mixture, although it might be as simple as relacing a chip or sender.<br />Thanks again!/<br />Icepick

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious as to how much you paid for the 15 'rude?

11 footer

Lieutenant

I was thinking the same thing. From what I've read it sounds like he got a great deal.<br /><br />11

icepick53

Cadet

I paid $10 US for the motor. I haven't tried to fire it up yet. I want to make sure that I have grease and oil and gas in all the correct places and in the proper quantities. If it runs, then I'll perform the necessary tunes. If it doesn't, then I'll try my hand at a rebuild!

digimortal777

Petty Officer 1st Class

10 dollars for a 15 hp rude ****ing sweet thats daylight robbery , hopfully it isnt a dead engine

CKJR

Seaman Apprentice

just a note, I own a 1984 15 hp johnson long shaft and there was a problem with a little rubber grommet between the copper water inlet tube and the powerhead. this grommet collapses over time and restricts water flow. i assume you have the same. I had to replace mine twice. when you fire it up check for water flow and watch for overheating-good luck