rope starting a 115hp evinrude

pontoonrob

Cadet
I believe my starter has bit the dust. In the meantime,is it possible to start the motor with the rope that came with the boat? Its a big motor{115hp}.. Anyone have any pointers for trying this? thanks,Rob :confused:

jimtodd72

Seaman
Re: rope starting a 115hp evinrude

A couple of years ago I was stuck on an island with a dead battery on my 100 hp Johnson. My buddies and I had often joked about pull starting a big V4 but none of us believed it could be done. I guess it was fear of not being able to get home before dark but I did start the enine with a rope so I guess it can be done. It was summer and the engine had been running a few hours before which probably helped but with cold weather setting in and since your engine obviously hasn't run for I while, I don't know what your chances for success are. If you want to try, make sure the key is on and have some water running into the water pickups. Spray starting fluid into the air intake for a couple of seconds (just once won't hurt anyhing), wrap the rope around the flywheel (place the knot on the end into the notch on the flyweel to make sure you are pulling the right direction), make sure you are clear of all moving parts and give it a pull. If it doesn't start after a few pulls, give it another quick shot of starting fluid and try some more. Don't be afraid to give up though...these things aren't designed to be started this way. Imagine pull starting your car which is about the same thing. Good luck!<br /><br />Jim

jimtodd72

Seaman

One other thing, before you replace that starter, make sure you have ruled out any wiring problems which may have caused it to fail. If there is some type of short, it will immediately fry the new starter and warranties don't cover that.<br /><br />Jim

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I, too, have rope started a 100hp V4. Much easier than I expected.<br /><br />I thought my starter had croaked, too. Tore it apart and found nothing wrong. Problem was bad ground cable attachment to the block.<br /><br />Another time I thought my starter had croaked. Tore it apart and found broken wire to one of the brushes. About $12 for new brushes.<br /><br />In over 50 years on the water I have never had a starter actually fail. The only one I ever saw actually fail had been used to try to start a siezed engine with 24 volts. It fried.<br /><br />My point is that I really doubt that you need a new starter. Worst case, brushes. Most likely something else in the high current circuit.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I had to rope start a 150 crossflow V6 once. I watched a buddy rope start his V8 one day. Twice. I would never have believed it could be done. Thank goodness mine started with the key.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get the problem solved. I have started a 1983 Evinrude 150 HP many time with the rope after it was warm. After trolling for hours with the downriggers, it would sometimes drain the battery. It would be near impossible on a regular basis...that rope is a little short too! :eek:

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

pontoonrob <br /><br />I used to know a mechanic who would routinely start 115 Johnson V4 outboards by grabbing the flywheel with his hands, and giving it a quick twist!!!!!<br /><br />What was even more remarkable was this man only had one finger and thumb on his right hand!!<br /><br />Yeah, he was showing off, most of the time. I would never have believed it if I had not seen it myself.<br /><br />I guess I am adding to JB's statement "easier than I thought".<br /><br />I never did ask that mechanic how he lost his fingers. It was probably the first time he tried that stunt!!!<br /><br />My point is, if your engine is in good tune, you may be "surprised" how easily it will start.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I wonder how he lost the other fingers..........?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Don't some of those big Vs have compression relief? I think the Evinrude XP V6s do????

pontoonrob

Cadet

thanks for the advise so. In regards to my starter, the last few outings a slight tap or two on the starter housing would get the starter to engage.I went out a week ago,{ since the lake is being lowered 9 ft}and the starter would not even turn over .bypassed the key and still nothing. IS there a "nuetral saftey switch" somewhere? the shifting cables were recently replaced.The starter has wheezed on me a few times in the past. Was also rebilt 2-3 years ago. Rob

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have rope started a Merc 140 inline 6. Wasn't that hard at all. Just make sure that the key is on and if it is cold, pull the manual choke.<br /><br />Craig

bp21

Seaman Apprentice

Hello Pontoon:<br /><br />I, too, have witnessed a rope start on a big V engine...think it was a late model 150 Merc. As for the starting fluid thing, if you so choose to use it, please be very careful and may the Lord be with you. Had an uncle lose some facial hair not long ago using that stuff to crank a cold engine. Anyway, I spend a couple weeks every summer at Lake Catherine in your neck of the woods. Ever fish there? Beautiful country. :)

JimIslander

Recruit

ALTERNATIVE TO STARTING FLUID!!!<br /><br />WD40.<br /><br />Works perfectly and lubes the engine when it starts. No explosions or other problems. Just spray it in and wait about 30 seconds for some of the volitile oils to evaporate.<br /><br />JimIslander

Walker

Captain

Be darn sure nobody is within twice the rope length from the motor when you try to pull start one of these big motors.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

About WD40.<br />Unless you have some real old WD40 it will not work as starter fluid.They changed the formula and it is no longer a combustable.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Rob... Rope starting that 115hp (or any other horsepower outboard) should be done as listed below. Pertaining to having the throttle butterflies opened slightly, that can be observed by watching the carburetor throttle roller on the starboard side of the carburetor.<br /><br />1 - Pump the fuel primer bulb until it's hard.<br /><br />2 - Set the throttle butterflies so that they are just slightly higher than the idle setting, ever so slightly higher.<br /><br />3a - (Electric choke model) Manually set the choke to full choke on. With the ignition KEY OFF, crank/pull the engine through four times with as much pulling speed as possible.<br /><br />3b - (Primer solenoid model) Turn the RED LEVER so that it is 180°, facing away from the primer solenoid. With the ignition KEY OFF, crank/pull the engine through four times with as much pulling speed as possible.<br /><br />4 - Depending on which model this pertains to, either return the RED primer solenoid to its original position (facing back along top and towards the rear of the solenoid), or return the choke butterflies to the full off position.<br /><br />5 - Position the starter rope cord on the flywheel so that the cord and flywheel are at the proper pull start position..... THEN turn the Ignition Key to the ON position, but not before!<br /><br />6 - Bracing yourself properly, pull that starter rope/cord in one quick motion without any hesitation between starting to pull it through to its release of the flywheel (watch your elbow and have everyone out of the way). The engine should start.<br /><br />NOTE... Should there be a hesitation when pulling the cord, the possibility exists that the engine could backfire. This would exert a reverse pulling action of the card.... something one would want to avoid.

D

DJ

You want that emergency start rope to be short. You DO NOT want that thing to stick on the flywheel. Think about a 115 hp weedwacker! :eek: <br /><br />Pontoonrob,<br /><br />Check the negative battery connection at the engine block. Actually take the connection apart. The crossflow V-4's were notorious for that connection corroding and causing all kinds of weird problems.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

i pulled a 115 1ns and it started before i pulled the rope all the way out of the flywheel i can laugh about it now but man i was ready to jump over board lol it was pretty scary u could hear the rope whisteling though the air till it cam lose form the flywheel.i did not wanna turn the key off because i was not sure if i had the guts to try it again haha just rememder shorter ropes are safer because u can pull them out of the flywheel in 1 quick pull

Riverrattralph

Recruit

A good alternative to the starting fluid is fogging oil. Works good as a starting fluid and makes sure its getting lubrication.

bollard

Seaman

Rob,<br /><br />The short answer is YES! The last 115's I had came with a rope neatly packed in a plastic pouch under the cowling. Used it numerous times. As noted previously the rope OMC provides is short for good reason. It only makes it around the flywheel about 1.5 times, but that is all you need to get her started.